Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecompte_gw

Hunt

lecompte
13 years ago

I found a tree last year that I have been keeping an eye on. The owner did not know what it was, but it turned out to be hunt. I went today to taste a few, and I was impressed to say the least. This tree is loaded with super sweet rich fruit. He picked 3 gallons yesterday, and 3 more gallons today before I got there. I picked a dozen or so, and could have picked more. He says that the tree is about 5 or 6 years old, and it is huge. The taste is similar to a good celeste. Even if you pick these fruit a day or two early, like the ones I picked, they are still good. This is a must have.

This is my daughter Gracie, eyeballing my fig.

Comments (12)

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Lecompte, those are some beautiful figs. I just acquired a small plant from a forum member. Thanks for the great picture. Cute kid, too! Tim

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Jeff, I've got to agree with Tim, very nice looking. It has that "eat me" look to it. Thanks for the picture.

This afternoon when we talked and I said that my unknown yellow was doing nothing, well that ain't true. I walked over to it just to check it out and voila, there were 2 of them swelling and turning yellow. I'm surprise the birds didn't find them first but I guess they are keeping an eye on my Celeste. If you're in the neighbor hood Thursday give me a call you can look at them and get a taste. We can also go look at that black tree a few blocks away.
    "gene"

• lecompte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gene, that is great news about your yellow fig. Maybe its getting to that age where its going to start ripening on time. I will call you Thursday
    Jeff

• paully22
    13 years ago

yum, yum. If Gracie is happy, I need to add this variant to my collection. I suppose those are Hunt brebas.

paully

• lecompte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are main crop figs. The brebas ripened about three weeks ago on this tree. I have three kids and a wife, and Gracie is the only one that will eat figs with me.
    Jeff

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Jeff,

I picked that one up in our area as an "unknown brown fig" a couple of years ago. The fruit are exactly as you have pictured and described. This particular fig is a very good one for our area. I have two other Hunt trees that still have not fruited for me......one came from a famous fig university that used it for breeding stock and the other came from JR.

Cute daughter..........

Dan

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Curious to learn more about the "HUNT" fig, its performance in various weather conditions, yields, resistance to diseases in humid/rainy climates, souring, splitting, etc. Is this a long season fig, and do you think it might be a good choice, and ripen, in NYC/Zone-7b.

I have read that this fig was bred by Mr. Hunt using "Brown Turkey, "Green Ischia", and "Celeste".

This thread was started three seasons ago. Any updated information and photos would be appreciated.

Is this a consistently large fig? Judging from the photos, it looks to be fairly large. The skin color looks to be amber-yellow?

Thanks,

Frank

• georgia_jack
    10 years ago

I just noticed this thread about the Hunt fig. My first fig bush back in the 1970s was a rooting from my Dad's tree. I've had dozens of varieties since, but that was the best ever. In making several moves, I lost all traces of the variety and, for the past 20 years, have been trying to find it again. The fig in these pictures looks and sounds exactly like my Dad's old fig. I would love to have a couple of cuttings or rootings from it. I'll be glad to buy them or trade for them. I have the original Quarter Pounder, a Magnolia sport that produces six ounce brebas and several other good varieties I'll trade. I'm 77 years old now, so I don't have forever to find and enjoy this fig again. Thanks. jack.thomas@live.com.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Georgia Jack:

Try:
    Just fruit and Exotics
    Durio Nursery, LA.

Both, list "HUNT" and other figs.

good luck,

Frank

• georgia_jack
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip. It seems that all "Hunts" are not created equal though. The nursery pictures don't show the same fig that is pictured above on this thread. One description also says it's short-necked and long-necked. That would be a trick! The one I'm looking for has the long neck, long stem, and pear shape. When ripe, the fig hangs on the tree with the small closed eye pointing to the ground, which makes it very resistant to souring. I think "lecompte's" fig is the one.

• sewnmom7
    10 years ago

Jeff, just read your post about Hunt figs.. well, I know this is forward but I'd love to have a cutting or two.. my maiden name was Hunt and i'd love to have fig tree because I've learned, I do love figs. thanks ahead, molly / sewnmom7@yahoo.com

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

lecompte,

I would love to trade cuttings. Please send me a PM. Yours is not set up to receive messages.