Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this an Italian Honey Fig tree??

Posted by joe_grandinetti 5b NE PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 20:57

Hi all,

I purchased this tree as an "Italian Honey Fig" from "Petals From the Past" a couple of months ago.

The tree arrived with some small leaves in a 1/2 gallon pot...in pretty good shape. No fruit this year, too immature. I re-potted and is progressing very nicely.

However, as I've looked around this foruma and on the web, I'm having a hard time definitely ID'ing this tree's foliage as an Italian Honey Fig.

This is my first attempt to post a photo...hope it works.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2720488929_42e3c08dbc.jpg?v=0

Thank you,
Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Honey Fig?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this an Italian Honey Fig tree??

Joe,
The foliage doesn't look anything like my Italian Honey.

Peg

o

Joe, Looks a lot like my Magnolia/Brunswick.

o

It is not Italian Honey for sure.
Can be Brunswick,but not necesary.
There are many figs,that have leaves like Brunswick ,so you can prove us wrong,next year when hopefully you will have ripe fruits to show.

o

When I ordered the tree, this is the list of fig trees they had available. I'm familiar with the Brown Turkey and Celeste characteristics, does it resemble any of the others? (maybe got mix up in packaging)

Alma
Brown Turkey
Celeste
Green Ischia
Italian Honey
Lemon
LSU Purple

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 13:05

Alma - No
Brown Turkey - No
Celeste - Maybe*
Green Ischia - No
Italian Honey- I don't think so
Lemon - I don't think so
LSU Purple - No

While the leaves do not look like what is commonly referred to as 'Celeste' in the south, it does look like a tree labeled as such that I picked up late last year in a local nursery.
Photobucket

~james

o

Does not match my IH ... in looking at my orchard the closest match is Violette de Bordeaux (Negronne). Once you get some fruit you will have a much better shot at making a determination.

-Steve

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here