Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rchukka

Need Help Growing Fig Tree

rchukka
12 years ago

We planted the below kadota fig back on March 3rd 2011, and it grew some leaves and three figs so far (2 tiny ones and 1 small), but the it's growth (leaves and height) seems to have stalled. The leaves seem little yellow, was wondering if somebody here can give little guidance on making it grow. Thanks.

We are in north texas and water it(soak) every other day, would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

{{gwi:802608}}

{{gwi:802609}}

Comments (11)

• Karly30
    12 years ago

are you fertilizing it? you will definitely need to clear a circle of grass away under the tree.

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I havn't fertilized it after planting, do I just buy miracle-gro indoor-outdoor plant food and spray around the base and water?. How often do I need to do for this size plant?.

I saw somebody using Osmocote on this forum is that better?.

This is my first time planting and trying a grow any sort of tree. I will clear the grass around tomorrow.

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

Clear the grass around it (diameter of 3-4 feet). Mulch that area about 2 inches.
    REMEMBER, it's in the ground and you want your tree to have a deep root system so, the more mulch added = the shallower are the root system. They will not go deep instead they go towards the heavily mulched area.

You can fertilize it with Miracle Grow All purpose fertilizer (sold at any big box stores or walmart), once a week. Also, spread some SLOW release limestone and Osmocote ind/out fertilizer around the base of the tree.
    Make sure you use the Limestone. not, lime.
    You should stop fertilizing it by middle of Aug.

Good luck

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cleared the area and put 1 cup of Osmocote around the base of the plant. I Looked around this forum and figured that plant might also need iron, so went to homedepot but they only had ironite bag, is that iron good enough? or do I need to get bonite or some other liquid form?.

P.S I thought Osmocote and Miracle Grow do the same thing. atleast that's what I figured from their labels.

Thanks for your feedback.

{{gwi:802610}}

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Added about 1/4 cup of iron, hopefully it will help.

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

Leaves are sun-burned, you need to provide a little shade for it.

Liquid or granular Fe would work the same as the liquid Fe solution.
    With the ironite (granular) you just have to dissolve 1tbs/gallon of water and let it sit over-night and the next morning water the plant first then half hour latter water it with the diluted Iron solution.

Next time that you buy a fig tree keep it in a pot for at least a season so it develops some root mass and outgrows a 7-10 gallon pot, then you can plant it in ground. Plant it in Spring (March-April) so roots have few months to develop and penetrate deep enough into the soil just in case the tree dies in winter it will sprout back from the roots.

Osmocote Vs. MG/liquid fertilizer,

Osm, is a slow release fertilizer/won't burn the roots/used for longer periods, 3-4 months

MG or any liquid fertilizer, Fast acting/ will burn the roots if added too much too often.

Also figs love limestone, don't forget that.

Stop fertilizing it by end of july or early Aug. or it will not go dormant and will die with some freezing temps. You also need to protect it for winter by warping it with burlap and white color tarp or a old carpet.

Remember to wrap it with WHITE tarp, not any other color or you will lose it to mold.

Good luck.

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it gets below 50 only at the end of October, should I stop fertilizing in august or wait little longer?.

When preparing iron solution, can I also add Osmocote slow release into the mixture and create solution which works as quick release?.

When you cover the plant, should I cover the base or the entire tree?

Using one of those advertising board to provide shade :)...

{{gwi:802611}}

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

Please remove the sign. I said shade not darkness.
    Take 4 or five stakes or piece of wood, push them in ground to make a triangle or a square shaped structure then cover the top part of that structure with shade cloth or bird netting. ONLY the top part not the whole thing, you want your plant to be in a shaded or semi-shaded area. If you don't have stakes or... you can place a bigger pot of some sort of object to decrease the sun's intensity.

DO NOT mix the Osmocote into the Iron solution. Osmocote is spread on the ground around the base of the tree/plant. It DOES NOT mixed in with water.
    I believe that you said you already added 1/4 cup of iron. First, it's way wayyyy too much for your plant, if you just spread that around the plant (did not mixed into water) I would go and try to remove as much as possible. Too much fertilizer (which Fe is one) can kill your young plant.
    2nd, I would not recommend to feed it diluted Fe solution more than once a week. And sine you have already added the Fe (from the previous post) don't add anymore Fe.

You can buy MG all purpose fertilizer and dilute that (read the instructor and use half of what it says on the box) for a faster fertilizer. But again, if you add too much or liquid fertilize too often, you can kill the plant.

Figs in ground don't really need any fertilizer or .... so just go easy on fertilizing this tree. Grown and kept in a pot is a different story.

So the lowest temps is only below 50F during winter? does it go below 32F?

Navid

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It get's below 32 only few days a year. I will remove whatever Fe I can.

Middle points is average low's, bottom points are record low's.

{{gwi:802612}}

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

I would wrap it anyway. Your plant is too young and you don't want to take the risk. I winterize my fig trees (in pots) in a shed with a electric heather set on 39F even with all that I do wrap each one with R19 Fiberglass Insulation.
    Just stack some hay around it then wrap the hay with burlap few times then wrap the burlap with a white tarp.

And if your tree died for any reasons, don't be disappointed get another one next spring and try it again. It's a learning process.

Might be useful;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7ecRXeUr8

• rchukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, I have other fig trees that I planted two months back, I wasn't sure if the leaves at the bottom were suckers. If they are, do I need to do anything with them considering the condition of the plant right now.

{{gwi:802615}}{{gwi:802617}}

{{gwi:802619}}{{gwi:802621}}