Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverman777

Will figs grow in Michigan?

riverman777
15 years ago

Greetings to all. I'm new to gardening and new to Michigan.

I'm from Florida, and enjoyed the fig preserves my mother would make. I bought a small place near Owosso, with some wonderful apple trees and such. If possible I would like to plant some figs up here, but I don't know a soul in these parts and not sure if this is possible. Thanks for any help. Michael

Comments (7)

• chills71
    15 years ago

yes, depending upon your climate (I'm not originally from Mi, so I'm not sure where Owosso is) and how much work you're willing to do to grow figs, it is possible.

I'm in Saint Clair Shores (which puts me North-east of Detroit, and north of Canada) and I have one fig in the ground and a number of figs in pots. The one in the ground needs to be protected each winter and the potted ones are brought inside and stored in a cold-preserving room off of my basement for the winter. There are a number of ways of protecting in-ground planted figs over-winter, and they all require a bit of work. Potted might be a good place to start if you have a place to keep the fig in the winter (an attached, unheated garage can be a viable option).

You'll find there are a few of us in this forum growing figs in Michigan (and at least one that I can recall in Chicago as well).

~Chills

• riverman777
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like the fig prefers a warmer climate I guess. I was hoping maybe for a hybrid perhaps that proformed well in colder climates. Maybe I should consider a native fruit tree. Thanks again. Do you know of a web resource for native michigan fruit trees that do well?

• chills71
    15 years ago

Have you ever heard of a pawpaw?

There are lots of fruit trees and shrubs that will grow well in Michigan.

Check the link for an option you probably aren't already familiar with!

~Chills

PS...I'd also check other online nurseries. Burnt Ridge nursery is a favorite of mine

Here is a link that might be useful: tollgate gardens nursery

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Chills is right on in the response. riverman i live near chicago, i grow in large home depot plastic pots and bring in each winter after a hard frost hit them. I have attached garage a little warmer than being unattached.If putting in a garage may i suggest setting pots up on 2x4s so there off the cold ground. Or you can go thru the tedious procedure of knocking tree over and making what i call a gravesite for the fig tree and wrap with burlap and cover with leaves and dirt. After hold is dig put sopme plywood to fig then wrapped tree on top of that it makes it a lot easier for one in the springtime. Try growing a fig tree a challenge but for me rewarding fruits.
    Best of Luck
    Martin

• Carol Heiderman
    4 years ago

I was interested in this question because my niece just bought a home near Kalamazoo that’s almost treeless. I wanted to buy her a fast growing one as a housewarming present and immediately thought of a fig tree. I live in Georgia and planted a 4’ tall one 3 years ago that’s now already 12-14 feet tall and starting to broaden out. can anyone tell me which trees are fast growing in Michigan? Thanks!

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

If you're talking about planting a fig in-ground in Kalamazoo, that's really optimistic. Generally, a fig tree will not survive in that Zone, particularly year-after-year, without pruning it way back and installing special protection each fall. Here is what's required, and it's too much work for too little reward, as far as I'm concerned:

https://statebystategardening.com/state.php/mi/print/growing_figs_in_the_midwest_is_hard_but_rewarding/

In addition, such pruning will result in the tree producing very few figs. I've lived in similar Midwest environs and would only plant something suitable, like some type of hardy evergreen.