Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will figs grow in Michigan?

Posted by riverman777 Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 21:09

Greetings to all. I'm new to gardening and new to Michigan.
I'm from Florida, and enjoyed the fig preserves my mother would make. I bought a small place near Owosso, with some wonderful apple trees and such. If possible I would like to plant some figs up here, but I don't know a soul in these parts and not sure if this is possible. Thanks for any help. Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will figs grow in Michigan?

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 22:46

yes, depending upon your climate (I'm not originally from Mi, so I'm not sure where Owosso is) and how much work you're willing to do to grow figs, it is possible.

I'm in Saint Clair Shores (which puts me North-east of Detroit, and north of Canada) and I have one fig in the ground and a number of figs in pots. The one in the ground needs to be protected each winter and the potted ones are brought inside and stored in a cold-preserving room off of my basement for the winter. There are a number of ways of protecting in-ground planted figs over-winter, and they all require a bit of work. Potted might be a good place to start if you have a place to keep the fig in the winter (an attached, unheated garage can be a viable option).

You'll find there are a few of us in this forum growing figs in Michigan (and at least one that I can recall in Chicago as well).

~Chills

o

Sounds like the fig prefers a warmer climate I guess. I was hoping maybe for a hybrid perhaps that proformed well in colder climates. Maybe I should consider a native fruit tree. Thanks again. Do you know of a web resource for native michigan fruit trees that do well?

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 10:26

Have you ever heard of a pawpaw?

There are lots of fruit trees and shrubs that will grow well in Michigan.

Check the link for an option you probably aren't already familiar with!

~Chills

PS...I'd also check other online nurseries. Burnt Ridge nursery is a favorite of mine

Here is a link that might be useful: tollgate gardens nursery

o

Chills is right on in the response. riverman i live near chicago, i grow in large home depot plastic pots and bring in each winter after a hard frost hit them. I have attached garage a little warmer than being unattached.If putting in a garage may i suggest setting pots up on 2x4s so there off the cold ground. Or you can go thru the tedious procedure of knocking tree over and making what i call a gravesite for the fig tree and wrap with burlap and cover with leaves and dirt. After hold is dig put sopme plywood to fig then wrapped tree on top of that it makes it a lot easier for one in the springtime. Try growing a fig tree a challenge but for me rewarding fruits.
Best of Luck
Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here