Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsvmf

Mr James Robin's llatest fig inventory for Sale

johnsvmf
13 years ago

James Robin is a great source for fig plants that are: rare, highly prized, and inexpensive so I am posting his inventory. A few notes:

1. Mr. Robin doesn't have a website so you must call.

2. Mr. Robin doesn't always answer his phone so follow up if you don't reach him the first time.

3. There is much discussion about RKN problems with Mr. Robin's plants so order at your own risk. Personnally I have received over a dozen plants from him without issue.

I do not gain in anyway by Mr. Robin selling you his plants. You will however benefit by purchasing his plants at a great value.

Do to Mr Robin receiving bad press about RKN he shipped my order last year bare root. My personal opinion is I will not knowingly order bare root plants. I have had terrible results with receiving bare root fig trees. If you order from Mr Robin I suggest you insist on plants shipped with soil. You may have to pay more but I think it is worth it.

Good Luck!

Vinnie

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/johnsvmf/JamesRobinpage1-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/johnsvmf/JamesRobinpage2-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (29)

• johnsvmf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Third time is a charm

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Vinnie!

Thanks for posting that list. I want to see if I can run up to Opelousas and get a Hunt tree from him to replace the one I got from FL this Spring. The bent and broken tip I cut off the little tree is doing better than the tree itself. I would like to get another one, so I really appreciate that list. :)

Vivian

• johnsvmf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vivian,

It's my pleasure. I really respect Mr. Robin and I think he depends on the sale of his fig trees to help make ends meet. As for the Hunt Fig tree, it is one of my most aggressive growers. The tree I received from Mr. Robin two years ago is now a very full 7 foot tall tree and loaded with figs. Most of the information I have found on the Hunt is it is not a heavy bearer of fruit but mine appears to be.

I do want to highlight, I am NOT a fan of bare root plants. Mr Robins sent my plants bareroot last year and I lost a few. I will not mention I lost the plants or Mr. Robin because he will insist on sending replacements but I plan on reordering the plants I lost but also requesting they be sent in soil.

Good Luck
    Vinnie

• texascockatoos
    13 years ago

Hi Vinnie,

What is the process with Mr. Robins. Do we order now and he will ship them to us in the spring or do we order now and he can ship now?

Thanks,
    Cathy

• johnsvmf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cathy,

You order now and he ships later. I usually send my money to him early and he lets me know how much more I owe him for shipping once the plants are on their way.

In the fine price on the second page Mr. Robin indicates he ships Dec thru Feb.

Good Luck!
    Vinnie

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Vinnie,

If you would get a tree in soil that has RKNs, you can take cuttings from it, or air layer it and remove the layers and plant them in RKN-free soil. Just keep the infested-rooted one away from your soil.

I will inspect a baby from him just like I do with any of them that I've gotten from others. It's just prudent to do that before you plant it, even if you'll keep it in a pot. The roots can creep out of the pots and into your own soil.

Vivian

• johnsvmf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mr. Robin called me and indicated that many viewers could not read the posted inventory so I decided to resize the photos. While doing so I messed up the page with the dark figs so I manually typed in the Dark Fig inventory. I recommend that if you either can't read the attached inventory sheets or don't see a fig you want to call Mr Robin and ask him if he has the plant you want.

I do stand behind my recommendation for plants in soil.

Good luck
    Vinnie

Mr. RobinÂs Dark Figs

Black Mission - Large black fig, strawberry pulp, rich flavor, 2 crops ripens Aug-Sep, *Francascan, Mission

New Brandy  Please call Mr. Robin for the description

Brown Turkey - Medium light brown to violet, sweet strawberry pulp. *Eastern Brn Turkey, or English Brown Turkey. Ripens July-Mid Aug.

Celeste - Medium light brown to violet, sweet strawberry pulp excellent flavor dried, preserved or fresh. Very hardy. * Blue Celeste, Celestial Malta, Sugar Tennessee, Mtn Fig, Ripens Mid Jul-Mid Aug.

Hardy Chicago - Medium light brown to violet, sweet strawberry pulp very good. *Chicago (Italian Everbearing).

Hunt - Large violet fig, long ripening season, dependable rich sweet flavor Ripens July -.

LSU Purple - Medium glossy purple fig with sweet strawberry pulp and rich flavor.

OÂRurke - Improved yield and size. Light Brown to violet skin. Strawberry pink pulp, excellent dried, preserved, or fresh. Ripens July-mid Aug *(Improved Celeste).

ScottÂs Black - Lg black fig with bright red pulp, sweet rich flavor. Ripens August only.

Tiger - Larger than OÂRurke, light brown skin, amber pulp, very sweet. Holds well on tree. Ripens July  mid Aug. Giant Celeste.

• mrfigncz8
    13 years ago

The fig listed in JR's listing as Brandy is Scott's Yellow. He decided to
    rename it because it is not completely yellow. This just adds to the
    confusion of names. JR is a good friend of mine and I wish he had left
    it as Scott's Yellow.

Jack Rice

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Y'all,

The trees that Mr. Robin sells in 2 gallon pots are not very heavy. Also, I've now gotten six trees and in checking the roots, have found only healthy-looking roots on the trees.

I think it's a good idea to check roots no matter where one gets new plants.

Hi Jack,

What do you mean the Scott's Yellow isn't completely yellow? Is it like the Smith, which has tan on it? If it's a tan-yellow, I would think that the name Brandy would fit it better, but as you say--Renaming just adds to the confusion of things.

It's so messed up now, what does it matter if one more fig is called something else? LOL!

I want to know these things--Does it taste good when grown down here and does it do well in the high heat, rain/humidity and hot, dry times.

Other than that, I don't care what color the outside is, or the inside is, or what shape the leaves are!

Dan--Bless you for studying the different trees to see how they do down here.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Yes, JR is sometimes very free with naming. I gave him a bunch of cuttings two seasons ago that were obtained from Italian Honey fig trees. He renamed them Cajun Honey and sold them as such. Anyone who purchased that fig from him, actually purchased an Italian Honey fig.

Noss, I keep telling you to call me. ALL of your questions will be answered by someone who knows his figs and the growers in South Louisiana. I have a lot of first hand information that I simply cannot put on the Internet.

Dan

• mrfigncz8
    13 years ago

Noss,

Scott's Yellow has been a very good fig in all respects here. The fig does
    have sort of a brandy blush. My area on the SC border is extremely hot
    and humid. It does great with these conditions and rain is no problem
    either. It has also proven to be quite hardy. You will like this fig.

Jack

• noss
    13 years ago

Dan! I will call you tomorrow evening if that's all right. The cough is gone! I'm looking forward to talking with you.

Jack, I'm glad to hear about the Scott's yellow/Brandy. Thanks for your input. I'm filing things away for reference.

noss

• fignut
    13 years ago

I just had the pleasure of talking with Mr. Robin this afternoon. He mentioned that he still has a few fig trees left to sell. So if anyone is looking for very reasonable, very well grown fig plants give him a call and see what is still available (337) 407-0188. Even if he doesn't have what you are looking for, you'll enjoy talking with him.

• noss
    13 years ago

You are so right, "fignut," it's very enjoyable talking with James. We love to visit with him and Miss Betty, as well. Always something to learn. :)

The fig trees I've gotten from James have all shown themselves to be very sturdy and strong. The little Hunt tree from him had to go and put out one more fig before it lost its last leaf. I thanked it and removed the fig and told it I was looking forward to all the figs it would give me next season. ;)

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I'm going through an internal tug of war. Part of me is saying; "Call and order a Smith an LSU Hollier and a Hunt." The other part of me is saying "Your whole yard is full of trees and you will be rooting at least 100 more this year!!! Are you stupid or something!!!"

At this point its still a coin flip.

• noss
    13 years ago

Thisisme--

You are NOT stupid--You're just a fig addict like the rest of us..... ;)

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thank you noss, its good to know that someone out there understands. Perhaps the name of this forum should be changed to Figgers Anonymous. lol

• noss
    13 years ago

How about Fig Nuts Ubiquitous? :) We're everywhere! We're everywhere!

There's no sense in creating a Figgers Anonymous--Who would want to quit? I sure don't. LOL!

noss

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

What is RKN. Can any body explain that to me. and what is Mr. Robin phone number. Appreciate any answer.

Abe

• fignut
    13 years ago

RKN is short for Root Knot Nematode. It's a parasite that affects plant roots and looks like roundish bumps on the roots. Figs coming in from anywhere should be checked.

Mr. Robin's number is (337) 407-0188.

• texascockatoos
    13 years ago

We need a support group for our spouses not us.
    They are the ones that think we have gone off the deep end.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thats so very true texascockatoos. I'm not crazy, I'm having a good time.

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Hello Fello Fig Nuts,
    Can you tell me how much each tree is
    I didn't find the price And
    I think You can NEVER have TOO many FIG Trees...
    Thank You, Debbie

• xnrgx
    13 years ago

I ordered a fig from Mr. Robins and never got it. I have to admidt he was one of the nicest people I have ever talked to on the phone. I just chalked it all up to perhaps a issue with getting the fig from Lousiana to Arizona and if I needed to I would order from him again. Perhaps it was a Mailing issue. I never got back with him, on the problem. Don't know if anyone else had the same problem. He did get me in contact with Maggie and she is also about as nice a person as you will ever find. I now have about 15 or more types of figs either here or coming, so the White Marseilles I ordered from Mr. Robins might not even have found a place to grow in my yard. 15 Figs is about it, and with 2 more coming in spring time it will be about all I can manage. I would like one more from Isreal/ Middle east area though. I think my Byadi fig is not going to make it; it was small when I got it, and it seems to be real real dry.

• jazzbass1
    13 years ago

You should have contacted Mr. Robin about the fig not showing up. He may have re-mail it to you. Yes Maggie is a wonderful person. You should contact Bass at www.treesofjoy.com for the other (Isreal, middle east fig).

• jolj
    13 years ago

Will Mr. Robin ship to S.C.?

• ejp3
    13 years ago

He ships to N.Y. so why not S.C. Just be sure and check the roots before planting. This goes for whomever you purchase figs from

• gritslad_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

What is the average cost of a tree shipped in soil?
    Is May too late to order?