Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanhead_gw

Transplanting Brown Turkey Fig

beanhead
17 years ago

I am a new member. Sorry for the long winded post.

I need to move a 7-8 foot Brown Turkey Fig. I misread the survey of my lot and planted it too close to the drain field of my septic system a few years back. Apparently its roots are beginning to invade the perforated pipes.

I did a search and found a great post by a member that claimed to have a Power Point presentation for a transplanting method. It involved a 2 month process I believe.

So I joined the GardenWeb so that I could contact this member in hopes of getting a copy of the method. But now I cannot find the post. I went through the entire history but I cannot find it. AHHHHH!

The method involves root pruning which leads to another question. I am worried I will end up killing my fig tree by transplanting it so I want to do some air layers. Is it okay to do some air layers while preparing it for transplant?

Comments (5)

• goodground
    17 years ago

I never had any problems with transplants and I had no experience. I don't know if your tree is skinny and young or thick with a strong root system. First of all, I think you should wait until the leaves fall off and then you can transplant. Prepare the new planting hole first. To remove the tree, I would start digging wide from outside the branches to loosen the root system without damage. The point is to be able to lift the tree by the main trunk without breaking alot of roots. Lift the tree, plant it in a new hole. Do not plant it low. Water well and you should be ok. Do not let the roots get exposed to the sun and dry out. Good Luck!!!

• beanhead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was planning on waiting until fall after the leaves drop. I just wanted to research it now in preparation.

It is a robust tree with a thick trunk at the base -- maybe 6" to 8" or so in diameter. It has multiple branches close to the ground. I was going to try to air layer some of these to make it easier to get to the base of the trunk.

I guess I'll do the air layering now and start the root pruning in September. It is such a nice tree and looks so healthy. I just hate messing with things that are doing well.

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Hi Beanhead,

I'm sorry, I didn't see this post the other day. I had a PP presentation for prepping trees to removed from the ground, however, my harddrive has crashed since then and the friend whose external I backed up to, is out of the country. I will try to find it again and send it to you.

Basically the process involves root pruning the tree to encourage more root growth from the base. I did this to one of my trees at the beginning of this year. I started on one side about 16 inches from the trunk. I waited a week and did the opposit side. A week later one of the perpendicular sides and then the opposit side of it.

The instructions were to drive a spade down to sever the roots about a month (if I remember correctly) before transplanting. I was planning on leaving my tree in for the entire season, so I removed the soil around the tree to not let the roots re-grow beyond the cut. After it finishes fruiting, I will start removing more soil until the root ball is about the size of the pot I'm going to put it into. Also, I will air layer/prune many of the limbs.

• beanhead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That would be great.

You must have offered that PP oresentation in another post. I found it once but then when I tried to find it again, I couldn't find it to save my soul.

The tree I am going to attempt to move is a bit larger and more heavily branched. But I think I can do it successfully. If you do manage to find that PP presentaion please let me know.

• gurbani2_verizon_net
    12 years ago

This tree is about 3 ft tall and not very old- I wish to move it-itis now early june- is this too late?