Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Drop

Posted by kassiebum z9 Sacto (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 22:11

Four year old Violettes in large pots, each with lots of little figs and all of the leaves are yellowing and dropping. The larger fig had sent a 1 inch thick root into the ground and I cut it off-expecting the tree might be shocked for this season. It has lost all but a few leaves and some of the figs appear to be withering. Now the smaller one, which hasn't tapped into the ground, is losing its leaves after first turning mottled yellow. I neglected to fertilize this spring. But no other changes in watering or in our hot (and now smokey) weather.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Drop

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 23:59

yellowing leaves often indicate a watering problem.

Also, why did you cut off the 1 inch thick root? (that clever little fig had a means to get additional water and resources and you cut it off? Are you moving the fig (to protect from fire or something?

~Chills

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 1:27

Typically, the shock from cutting a root is usually short lived. FWIW, I would have cut the root, as well... unless, the tree has been in the container too long (i.e. four years). One of the goals of periodic root work is the take out the thick roots (which the tree mainly uses for anchoring) to make room for the smaller roots (which are more efficient at taking up moisture and nutrients). If your tree goes too long between root pruning, the soil will become compressed. This makes it more difficult for the water to get to the roots, which are already less efficient at sending the water up into the tree.

If this is the case, then Chills' comment is more relevant. The tree was getting what it needed from the ground because it can't get it from the container. When you water the tree, give it water a little bit at a time and wait a few moments between drenches.

~james

o

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond. Cut the root because the tree was getting larger than I wanted. Am thinking you are correct about compressed soil and watering. Do you just pull the root ball out of the pot and trim away at it and then add more potting mix? What time of year should this be done?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here