Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
at2013_gw

Rooting summer cuttings (green) zone 9

AT2013
10 years ago

Hi guys. My neighbors got a fig tree. I don't know what type, but if I had to guess based on the fruit it's a black mission.

Anyway back on June 28th I took several cuttings of the tree. I had watched a video on Youtube which was for hardwood or where the green had lignified, but thought I could still do it with some different treatment. Batch A went straight into water for 3+ weeks and did not do much other than develop pre-roots or those soft white bumps. The other batch got wrapped in wet newspaper and rooted at the bottoms, with about 2" of roots after about a month, I'd say. The wrapped cuttings were placed in a plastic shopping back and placed in the laundry room which is detached from the house. It stays warmish in the winter and warm in the summer, especially on the shelves.

Anyway, this last week at the behest of my father I decided to plant the rooted cuttings, which had 2-4 buds now growing. This was as good as a time to plant them because I didn't want to disturb the roots later on. I planted them in 1-2 gallon containers. Four different cuttings. As I said, they all had buds and at least 1-2 leaves a cutting. Little cute tiny fig leaves. I prepared a loose potting soil alternating in dry and wet/moist soil I just sprinkled and lightly patted the soil down when I was done. I lightly waters the cuttings and left them over night. The next afternoon I noticed the cuttings' buds and leaves started to brown. I then covered each container with a long white plastic bag to lock in enough moisture under the sun. I just lifted the bags after about four days and noticed the all the buds and whatnot have withered. The cuttings' skin has started turning brown, like it's lignifying itself. I took one cutting slowly out of the potting soil to look at the roots, they'd grown a little, I think, and weren't slippery or stinky when I sniffed them. I'm at a loss of what's going on.

I already messed up big time on a dozen rose cuttings being in zone 9. Am I doing something wrong here or are softwood/green cuttings a totally different animal to reckon with?

Comments (2)