Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildforager

What is the Sweetest Fig?

wildforager
14 years ago

I just found this website...

http://www.hawaiifruit.net/index-figs.html

It has brix measurements for some figs. For those of you who don't know a brix meter measures sugar content. I LOVE sweets, and sweet figs even more. Are there any varieties that are super sweet?

Thanks,

Little John

Comments (8)

• wildforager
    Original Author
    14 years ago

From the website it looks like Flanders and Osborne are in the lead with 25% sugars. Ischa Black and LSU Gold are comming in a close 2nd with 21% sugars. I'm still curious if there's anything sweeter.

-LJ

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

The sweetest fig I have ever tasted was a Louisiana heirloom fig known as "Louisiana Honey". I found this fig growing in an old Cajun community. It is small to medium sized (smaller than Kadota, about size of IC) light yellow fig almost round in shape with some neck .....eye small and open......every fig leaks honey.....honey turns into an almost solid candy that seals eye.....candy from size of a BB shot to size of an English pea. I have a small tree with fruit and will post pictures after I return to mother tree to perform sugar analysis on ripe fruit and take more pictures. No fig I have ever tasted comes close to this one on sweetness.

Pending sugar results and more research........I may introduce this new discovery into the retail trade.....it's definitely different and has a very good flavor. Watch for my future posts on this cultivar on the figs4fun fig forum link below.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Figs4fun forum

• wildforager
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sounds yummy. I anxiously await your results and I'll keep an eye on the other forum.

Thanks,
    Little John

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

To give you some idea of how sweet this one is.......Louisiana Honey is sweeter than Alma, Smith, LSU Gold, LSU Purple, Improved Celeste, regular Celeste, Hollier, Kadota, Black Mission, Italian Honey, Sal's, Dark Portuguese, Gino's, Champagne, Jack Lily, Southern Brown Turkey, Hardy Chicago, VDB, and several others that I have tasted from private collections and from my own collection. I have both Osborn Prolific and Flanders in my collection; however, neither has fruited for me so I do not know if they are sweeter. When I get more sugar data I will be able to state quantitatively how much sweeter it really is than those other cultivars.

Dan

• paully22
    14 years ago

Timing in picking the fig is important & so is the weather. I had the best lattarula this morning. I waited for it to almost tear off on its own & with the favourable fig weather, it was most yummie in sweetness & flavour, the lingering flavour that a dozen more is the way to go..

• wildforager
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Dan,
    Please let me know if you do any trimming on that LA Honey this winter. I'd be happy to pay for postage, etc. for some cuttings.

Thanks,
    Little John

• fruitlover72
    10 years ago

Hi Dan,
    will LA honey grow in Califrnia (sacramento)?

• patriota
    10 years ago

I have overpruned my figs this year

This post was edited by patriota on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 21:05

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?