Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

'atreano gold'

Hello to all FF members!

I used to post messages on this forum back in 2007-2008 under the name "effdeevee" ... but, for some reason the FF wouldn't allow me to use my old user name when I tried to update my membership, so, I chose "BronxFigs". Anyway, I'm back, and I'll try to post from time to time.

Some background information:

In 2007 I purchased three "ATREANO GOLD" trees and planted them into one large, 25 gallon container. They have grown without any problems, and have produced dozens of very large, sweet, golden-yellow figs each season. They have remained vigorous, and disease free.

However, I screwed-up big time last summer when I forgot to water them, stressing them so badly that they dropped all their leaves. This was at the very end of August. I watered them and nursed them back to health. The poor trees put out a new set of smaller leaves, which died off sometime in early October. These leaves, I'm sure, were the leaves for 2011/Spring. Because of the warm fall weather I kept the trees out until the last week of December, then they were placed in my unheated storage shed where they remained until mid-April-2011. They were removed, given full sun, water, food, etc. The trees all had green buds, and looked healthy. By mid-May the trees still refused to break dormancy, even though other unprotected fig trees growing in this area were all in full leaf. I assumed my trees were probably not going to make it, and, that I probably killed them ... but, around the beginning of this past June, buds started to break. Sadly, only one tree lived. It is now in full leaf, and seems to be growing fine. The other two trees are quite dead. I paid the ultimate price for neglect!

So... I also recently purchased a "TEXAS BLUE GIANT" from a grower in Florida. I hope I can get this variety to ripen figs in this part of the country. I'll try growing it for a few years, and see if it works out. I like black figs too. Please give me some growing tips for growing this variety in the Northeast-zone/7.....Herman, et al....how do I grow this fig?????

Anyway, like I've said, I'll post from time to time. Hope everyone is well.

Best regards and wishing you all lots of figs for 2011.

EffDeeVee

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions