Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkman270

Fig, Banana & other fruits get together

Darkman
10 years ago

Hi,

It's that time again and hopefully we are giving a better heads up so more of you can attend. We are organizing the 2nd Annual Gulf Coast Banana, Fig and other fruits get together. This is more than just figs and I'm sure you'll find other topics here to interest you.

This year we are meeting at my house in Pensacola, FL. Most of the group is growing other fruit trees too such as Blueberries, Blackberries, Muscadines, Bananas, pears, persimmons, citrus, pawpaw, pomegranate, quince, loquats, pecans, peaches, plums, jujubes and Bamboo (edible shoots). I am growing all of those except pears, jujubes and pecans. I plan to add pears soon. We also have an interest in tropical "looking" plants and landscaping from small planting to hardscapes. I'm sure we'll probably talk about everything. You are welcome to bring a guest or two or three if you decide to come.

We are planning on meeting on Saturday October 12, 2013 starting at or around 0800 until we all get tired and go home. Of course you can come whenever you want and leave when you want. We will not have any kind of strict schedule. We just want everyone to have a good time and talk about our plants and anything else that comes up. Hopefully we can all learn a little something from each others trials and tribulations! My place isn't huge but I have squeezed a lot into it. I'm just a little over an acre and it is all open to walk around a look at. I may have some figs left hanging. I currently have twelve banana bunches hanging and a decent citrus crop.

I am providing lunch in the form of BBQ pork, chicken and sausage. We'll have BBQ beans, Cole slaw, Potato salad, Mac and cheese, Red Beans and rice and some kind of desert (maybe cobbler). This is a family event and children are welcome as long as you can watch them. My yard is not completely child proof and I do have a swimming pool near where we will be eating and relaxing.

I may have some rooted fig trees to share. I will have a few fig trees large enough to take some cuttings. I will have a few muscadines in pots. I will have banana pups but mostly common varieties and some dwarfs. Also I have way too many 1 gallon pots that you are welcome to get some if you want. Also there will be a few persimmon whips available. None of this is for sale, so don't worry about that. We all try to share as many plants as we can to keep costs down.

I hope you can come. Please bring someone with you. We are trying to involve the wives and in the case of females members maybe a husband or significant other. If you are a female and uncomfortable I know my wife will be there and I fairly sure several other couples will be there.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. If you are interested in Figs, Bananas and other fruiting plants this will be an excellent time to make contacts and we'd sure like to see you there. We are planning on people coming from LA, MS, AL and FL.

Thanks,
Charles
E-mail Darkman270@cox.net