Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My fig tree (pics)

Posted by wojtek 6b, Poland (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 0:41

Dear all,
I`d like to share some information concerning my in-ground fig tree (unknown variety). At the beginning I`d like to say that we had very strong winter. Temperatures we had were very low - minus 30-35 C during 3 weeks, and minus 20-25 C during almost all winter. My fig was buried and wonderful survived that severe cold. After the winter, the tree had survived almost with no damage, except the ends some branches, which were affected with moulds. It happened probably because most of the tips were not enough lignified. And one thing - from the beginning of august I applied some potassium sulphate. It should make the fig tree more cold hardy (just make lignification faster).
And this year our figs starting to ripen. I think, that is a kind of success in my climate zone. Aha, once more, I am still looking for Desert King and Chicago Hardy.
Regards
Wojtek

First ripe fig (breba)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My fig tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My fig tree (pics)

Good for you. I take them inside.

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 0:43

Hello Wojtek,

That's a pretty tree and the figs look like they're doing well. Thanks for letting us see the pictures of it.

You sure get some COLD weather over there! BRRRRR!!!!!

noss

o

Those are some gorgeous figs for a brebas - that one looks to be pouring sugar froth out of itself!

How do you bury one of that size?

o

Wojtek
The temperatures you described show a very harsh year for Zine 6b because these are the temperatures associated with zone 5a winters. I tried a few plants in my unheated garage and it took these plants until July to show some green shoots. It was just an experiment (results not encouraging).
I hope you get many more ripe figs

o

Hi,
Thanks for a friendly comments.
jdreinstein - Previous 2 years it was not so difficult to bury my tree. I have bent all branches to the ground (before were fixed together), sprayed with anti-fungal spray, covered with kind of burlap, and again sprayed against moulds. And after that I put a lot of soil. I`ve made a kind of "grave" for my fig. But it worked !!! So, be honest my tree was not buried but covered with a soil.
ottawan_z5a - really, last winter was very very hard even for our zone. Of course I agree temps we got last winter were for zone 5. Concerning figs - I hope we`ll eat more figs and not only breba.
Regards
Wojtek

o

First of all,what you have there is main crop figs.
Second your fig is not unknown:It is English Brown Turkey.
I have one Identical to yours.

o
RE: My fig tree (pics)!

Only one breba:The ripe one

o

Wojtek, email me regarding Desert King question.

o

Thanks for comments.
herman2 - thank you for the remarks but I sad unknown because I dont remember the origin of my tree. Now I am happy that it is not unknown variety thanks to you. Concerning breba - I am sure they are breba - they are growing on old wood (pic 6th). Main crop is on pic 7th.
Regards
Wojtek

o

I beg to differ! Those in Pix 6,are Main crop.
Any fruit that grow just above and next to a leaf is main crop!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here