Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

I think I founf a solution for squirrel problem

foolishpleasure
13 years ago

A friend of mine got a work contract in United Arab emirate and he left the country to stay there for 8 years. He has a little dig called Jack Russel terrier and did not know what to do with him. I offered to adopt the little fellow. He goes with me to check on my trees and I discovered how much he hates squirrels. He makes a lot of noise parking and chases them and they are very scared of him. He chased one and the squirrel jumped high on the tree. The dog waited for him to come down parking and angry. I stood calm and noticed the action. The squirrel did not eat any fruit, he just was looking to scape, then jumped and ran away. Lately I don't see much squirrels in my backyard any more I have a little guard. I am thinking to get another little Guard.

Comments (10)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Yay!! Jack Russel's can jump too!! And they are very cute!! Glad you have a guard that's tough on squirrels!! Happy for you!
    Suzi

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Foolishpleasure,
    you have a unconditional loving animal.
    I grew up with dogs and have 3.
    Butch the 3rd is the big fella and used to chase rabitts and squirrels. We had rabitts in yard and butch would chase them when wooden fence was present. Butch at 100 pounds plus could run but not catch them and 1 day he went off on chase as rabbit was zig zagging in yard and Butch was closing in on him until rabbit headed straight for the wooden fence, Butch in full stride was determined until rabitt went right under that fence and poor Butch ran smack into fence and it knocked him down to the ground it stunned him but he was ok. The other 2 dogs are even faster and chase birds as well. All in all no problem with my fig trees. Yet the birds here have always been dumb and not bother the trees i even have a fountain they bathe in right in middle of my larger fig trees but they dont bother the figs and i grow the dark types.
    Martin

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

I guess my Labrador was the wrong choice for a garden watchdog. He just looks at the possums and wags his tail.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Jack Russells have literally tons of energy to burn compared to many other dog breeds. They are protective of their Master and territory. I can definitely see one being the perfect squirrel guard dog. Good solution.

Dan

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

If you've got a Jack Russel, you won't have any gophers. Or any other burrowing critters, either.

• noss
    13 years ago

All terriers were bred to kill varmints of all kinds. Even the tiny Yorkshire Terriers will kill squirrels and birds, rats and mice. It's in their genetic makeup to do that. The smaller terriers don't know they're small and they never give up. The Jack Russels are a kick, too. :)

noss

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

They kill gophers? that's it--I think our next dog will be a jack russel terrier :).

• joyfulsong
    13 years ago

What are the names of good fig producing plants for Zone 5?
    I didn't realize that they could be grown this far north.
    Thanks

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Before you decide to get a Jack, give some consideration to how much time you can give them to burn off all that energy. They need LOTS of exercise, so long walks every day, or plenty of room to run and run should be in the plan. If they don't get enough exercise, the result is often manifest in unwanted behavior patterns - chewing, barking, aggressiveness, dismantling the couch, just for something to do .....

We had a Westie (West Highland White Terrier) a while back. They were bred specifically to keep the castles in Scotland free from vermin. Ours also took great joy in guarding the yard and denying entry to anything that moved, but didn't walk on two legs. She was hell on squirrels &, unfortunately, slow moving birds. So smart, she would feign no interest in birds & walk away out of their sight. She would set up to develop a full head of steam just as she rounded the corner of the house. The birds would scatter, but often she would leap and snatch them from the air. Squirrels fared no better, She would latch onto a squirrel & shake it senseless, rarely with even a scratch. Terriers are indeed fearless, and have no sense of their own size, which is often a hoot.

Enjoy your new Pal, FP. No matter how you treat him, he'll make you the center of his world, but if you treat him well and show him love, he'll give an extra measure to your relationship and you'll have something very special

Al

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I had dogs all of my life up until my kids went out on their own. Cock-er Spaniel, rat Terrier, many beagles, Labrador Retriever, and Dachshund. My little rat Terrier was a fearless hunter in my Dad's yard. I often brought him on a squirrel hunt with me. He wasn't the perfect squirrel but boy did I enjoy his company. My sister had a Westie Terrier, my son has a Boston Terrier, and my brother has two Yorkies. My neighbor has Jack Russell which I often see walking his master down the road in front of the house. That little long-legged ball of fur owns the road and sometimes my own yard as he passes by. I just love his energy and attitude. My son's Boston Terrier has super extraordinary eye/foot coordination. She will retrieve a tennis ball or Frisbee all day long.....and I mean all day long. She is hell on squirrels, rabbits & cats but, doesn't bother with the birds. Maybe it is because she gets attacked by the Purple Martins when they have their babies.

I really miss having dogs in my life and may well choose to get another.....probably a Terrier because of their devotion and fearless attitude. They really are man's best friend and love to please their pack leader....even if that means being on fig guard duty.

Dan