Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temperature

Posted by foolishpleasure 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 4:20

OK after I dig the pots of my Figs from the garden soil and take them to the Garage during winter. My garage floor is concrete but I put Boards of wood under the pots. I have a barometer in the garage and a small heater. I can fairly control the temperature in the Garage. The question is how many degrees I am thinking to 40 F. Is that good enough.
Also Watering I am thing of 8 ounce of water per Pot monthly. Is that good too?
This the first time I do that for Figs I did it for Banana. The Banana need 55 F so I will keep the Banana in separate place. I think 55 F will be too much for Figs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temperature

40 is cold enough for fig dormancy. As far as watering, it will not require much watering at all. If the tree in a large pot, just water it when you store it away, usually after a hard frost. when fully dormant, potted figs can take temperatures down to -25 as long as the wood is not soft.

Bass

o

Hi Bass

Why can potted figs take temps. to -25 when the in ground plants would die?

Al

Z6 NJ

o

It rarely gets 40 degrees here, and my fig still goes dormant. 50 is as low as it goes (with the exception of 40 every 9 years), and the figs, palms, grapes, dates, citrus and olives all thrive.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 11:18

The ideal over-wintering temperature range is from 32* to 42*.

It's best not to think in terms of what your trees will tolerate, because roots don't all die at the same temperatures. The more lignified the root, the greater it's cold-hardiness; so, while the organism as a whole might tolerate root temperatures in the low 20s, it's a sure bet that a significant fraction of the roots will be lost along the way. Even here in Mid-MI, 6" soil temperatures on agricultural acreage (no cover - bare earth) almost NEVER drop below 25*, no matter how cold the winter or prolonged the cold spell. If they did, a significant number of our in situ trees would be affected.

Al

o

Thank you all. First time for me to raise Figs. I will keep the temperature at 40 or little below. It may range from 35-40. As you know it is very difficult to keep specific temperature in unheated Garage.

o

It is hard to control. Several seasons back we had a good ole fashion winter .
Garage temper hovered 6 to 8 degree's then in the low to mid teens for a couple weeks.
Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here