Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new fig (brown turkey)

Posted by Avril_UK Northamptonshire UK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 6:49

Hello :)

I have just joined this wonderful site as it appears to have very knowledgeable users, especially regarding my new plant, a fig tree.

Mine is in a 5 litre pot and at present sporting some small figs which don't appear to have grown much for some months now.

Autumn is coming, not that we had much of a summer, and already the leaves are turning yellow. I have read I need to leave these alone as they are building nutrition for the root ball but what should I do with the figs?

I have ceased feeding the plant as it appears to be getting ready to lay dormant. If someone could help me with regard the figs on the plant I would be very grateful.

I am in zone 10 UK.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new fig (brown turkey)

When figs first appear and about pea size they can take anywhere between 80 to 120 days or so depending on climate and type of cultivar.
Hope this helps.
Martin

o
RE: My new fig (brown turkey)

Hi, Avril
Figs are hard to grow in the u.k because of the short summers we have, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. Breba crop (fruit on last years wood) seem to work the best here. I would say desert king is the best producing/ tasting fig tree in the uk planted out in ground.
Also a greenhouse can extend are growing season by about 1-2 months.
By the way am down the road from you in leicester.
Best regards

Luke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here