Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

' Atreano ' ........ ripe figs !

The main-crop figs on my "Golden Atreano" are starting to swell and will be ready for eating within the next few days.

Overnight, the figs went from the hard-green stage to tennis-ball size. Now they're loosing the green coloration, drooping, and starting to go yellow-green. When fully ripe, they will have a deep-gold, banana-yellow skin. I'm going to hold back on the water at this point to concentrate the sugar in the fruit. (My trees were badly damaged by a terrible hail storm that hit my area two weeks ago. Leaves were shredded to ribbons, and too many of the figs showed dented-in, bruising on the skin ..... Nature ALWAYS trumps Man!).

Happy main crop to you!!!

BronxFigs

Comments (7)

• alb419_ny
    12 years ago

Fran,
    can you please post some pictures of your Atreano?Thank you,
    Giuseppe

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

alba419/Giuseppe:

Do a quick search on this forum for "ATREANO" pictures and information. Many postings here, concerning this excellent variety. A perfect fig for short-seasons, vigorous growth, and very productive, ....lots of delicious golden-yellow figs.

Good luck, and happy growing.

Frank ....Bronxfigs

• alb419_ny
    12 years ago

Frank,
    few years ago you send me a small rooted cuttings of your Atreano,the litle plant did not make it .Have an Atreano from a different source have some figs on this year and is being a very fast grower for me and wanted to compare it with your Atreano,thanks anyway,will do some search.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

Original Author
    12 years ago

Giuseppe,alb419

I'm so sorry, but you have me confused with another fig-tree grower. I was not the one who sent you a cutting. I'm happy to read that at least one of your "ATREANO" trees has performed well for you this season.

This variety bears a heavy main-crop of big, yellow figs. I'm just about picking the last few figs of my main-crop, and only one fig out of a few dozen -from one small tree- was not so great. All the others were sweet, and jammy. This has been a bad season for my trees. Too much rain at the wrong time, and a freak hail-storm ripped most of the leaves on my trees to shreds. But still, the trees ripened their figs, and God sent me a sweet gift.

Many growers speculate that there are a few different varieties of "ATREANO", and information has been posted on this forum to settle this question. There's just one, original "ATREANO". Your search on this forum will turn up this information also.

Don't pick the figs too soon, ..... let them hang a day or two after the figs go yellow, cut back on the watering, and be ready for the "sugar-bomb" that will shock your tongue!

Good luck paisan!

BronxFigs

• alb419_ny
    12 years ago

BronxFig,
    the man that send me the small Atreano was from Waene ,nj.
    If you are not Frank O.sorry for my mistake.Ciao,
    and many blassings to you.
    Giuseppe

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

My Atreano also suffered in quality in the last 10 days.
    After 10 days of rain ,they all had much water in them and if not harvested fast they will sour,starting at the eye end.
    But I know this will not happen if climate is not so rainy like this bad past period.

Original Author
    12 years ago

herman2:

You're right!

This year started out great, and my trees grew so vigorously, that I thought that I would have to do some serious pinching back just to control all the growth,... which was NOT fertilizer-growth, but, just good, strong, healthy growth, with short inter-nodal spaces. I stop all fertilizing on June 21st - as the days grow shorter, and, of course, pinch out the terminal buds. I found that I get a better, faster ripening, main-crop by not fertilizing after this cut-off date. My trees were packed with figs, and I had to thin out the main-crop. But then, a lousy hail storm hit my trees so hard that a lot of my figs were bashed in by the force if the ice marbles! I swear, I thought I was going to cry like a little girl when I saw all the damage and shredded leaves.

Anyway that was then, and this is now. I managed to get lucky, and I picked a lot of nice, big, figs these past weeks, but I've picked better. Only three or four, grew to the size of a tennis ball. Most were very good, and sweet, but only a few had that intense, sticky, sugary, figgy flavor that makes your jaws ache. I had to share some of the best fruit with family members, and, a NEIGHBOR! I could name at least two, of the "Seven Deadly Sins" that I find very easy to suffer, ....Greed, and Gluttony, when it comes to figs...maybe Lust also. But wait, there's more!

Happy harvest, enjoy God's bounty.

BronxFigs

PS.....

Next year, I think I will put some sort of circular, removable, "rain deflector" over the containers to control how much water will enter the soil, especially at the critical stage when figs are ripening. This way, if I'm out and a rainstorm hits, the pots will be covered, and the trees/figs will not soak up excessive water at the wrong time. I would rather control the water.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA