Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you eat them?

Posted by catlady4444 7A (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 7:31

Hello,

This is my 3rd year with a fig tree, and I tend to wait until they are VERY soft, often split, and they are sweet like a ripe plum and wonderful.

I traded produce yesterday with a lady I found on Craigslist who has "too many figs." Her figs are different varieties from mine. She said they are ripe, but they are somewhat firm, and not very sweet. The softer ones were minimally sweet, not very enjoyable to me. Some of them softened overnight and are much better. We have exchanged a few emails and she is confident that they are ripe and ready to eat. Is she picking them too soon? Do you eat your figs semi-soft? If they are ripe, are they at their sweetest? In other words, do you think she is eating under-ripe figs or am I eating over-ripe ones?

Thanks for your input!

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you eat them?

To each his own! It is a matter of preference and fig variety. My Celeste figs are sweet as soon as they first turn brown, but my Magnolia figs are bland and tasteless until full ripe. Even the Celeste figs are much sweeter when they are dead ripe, but they are sweet and edible much sooner than the Magnolia. If your fig friend is happy with her unripe figs, let her eat them early. I would prefer to wait. There is always a trade-off. If I wait until my Magnolia figs are ripe, the birds always get them before the next day, so I tend to pick them at an unripe stage and let them ripen "on the shelf" for a day or so. Not as good, but at least I get them instead of the birds!

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 19:59

Ann, I am with you. I dont pick the figs until they start cracking, and then wait a few days. To me it is an unbelievable waste of time and energy to grow your own fig tree and then pick unripe fruit. If I did that I might as well eat the store bought figs and grow pears that ripen off tbe tree instead of figs which only ripen on the tree.

o

Thank you...ejp3, I think you summed it up well. I sadly must say that they got moldy before they were what I'd call enjoyable and I just threw them in the compost.

I think the lady is mad at me, but I couldn't pretend they were delicious!

Thanks for the moral support,

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here