Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelson20vt

Black Madeira in Canada?

Nelson E.
14 years ago

Just wanted to know if anyone knew a source for the Black Madeira fig in Canada. Is anyone growing it in Canada good choice or not?

Comments (18)

• frozbig
    14 years ago

I do not have a Black Madeira but on figs4fun.com it is stated:

DESCRIPTION
    Perhaps the best tasting fig that exists. Needs more heat and a longer season than most. Ripens, but lacks flavor and sweetness after first cold weather. Splitting is a problem in some years, usually the same years that Panachee has a splitting problem. Was a slow growing tree until the year following a deliberate over-fertilization regimen. Has been a much more vigorous grower since then.

Perhaps, someone in B.C. might have more info on it...

btw do you a spot for storage in your condo?

• paully22
    14 years ago

I got my BM from Encanto Farms this year. Thanks to Jon for getting the phyto certification and I had no problems bringing it in. Expansive but worth it when the wife likes fresh figs. The tree has one fruit, size of a quarter now and I am not sure whether it will ripen by early Oct. If you are living in a Condo, my suggestion is to have Negronne or Lattarula or LSU Golden Celeste. Something small in tree size but productive.

• Nelson E.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya I will have to store them at my parents basement in the winter. I was born in Madeira Island and know how good they taste, but I really dont think our summers here in Toronto are long enough to make then taste right, what a dilemma. I have family going to Madeira next month but the thing is the trees are not as easy to find as one would think allot of them were cut down and replaced with cherimoya. I will see if they can find one and bring me back some cuttings.

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Hi Nelson,

I have a brilliant idea, Tell your relatives to bring some cuttings back, send them to me, I'll tell you and them how good they do in our Loooong hottttt summers.HEHEHE

Happy Gardening
    Cecil

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Im not in Canada i live near chicago illinois and our summers are not long and hot. But i just have to be hardheaded and try the Madeira like you folks in Canada to see for myself and perhaps try to get a jump start during spring and even put in shed at night during mid spring when nights are still cool but shed is nice and warm and keep it in pot against warm south facing wall on cement patio. Here is the 1 fig i kept on plant ( 1 season old). I wanted to concentrate on growth and not figs this season as i have knocked the reast off and cut the top of plant for more side growth.
    I look forward to your post from the north on fig grwoing as always.
    Best Health
    Martin
    {{gwi:805486}}

• scott_ga
    14 years ago

Hi Martin,

Boy that fig looks good. How did you get it to fruit so quickly? Mine is pretty tall, but no figs this year.

Scott

• arigato
    14 years ago

My second Year Madeira has 7 figs on it. I did over fertilize it like some folks suggested to get it past the heavy FMV state. It still has signs of it but is responding well nevertheless.

• Nelson E.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice plant dieseler I too am hardheaded and think I will still try it out just to be sure. Im sure there is a way of working things out in our cooler climates.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Scott,
    i did cut the tip of main trunk and fertilized it with each watering this season with miracle grow mixed with water and a couple times mixed in superthrive. Then the figs came out about 5 or 6 and i broke each one off and left just this one, now the top is back to growing like i never cut it and im getting some side growth finnaly on the plant. Im not fertilize no more as i want it to slow down the growth unfortunately for the cold season as im afraid of loseing it.
    Arigato seems like we think similar in regards to that FMV and they responded to it mine like yours still show sings but at least its less and they grow much better now, if mine can make it thru the winter storage i think im over the hump. Best luck to you and your plant.

Paully i would have given mine the fish mulch i call it but i have not gone fishing this year and the stuff at the store cost an arm and a leg, course the misses is happy as i did not burn a motor on her blender machine like last time when i just cut up the fish and packed em in there and turned it on high, heck i ddnt know you were suppose to add a little water and then oops.
    Nelson there ya go give it a try why not, if we can somehow extend the season or get a good jump start in the spring hopefully we get nice tasting figs !

• Nelson E.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya I think so too Dieseler a greenhouse would be good, I used to Install Sprinkler systems and I worked at this one house this older Italian man had the same dilemma so he built a greenhouse attached to the house and when I was there at the end of November to Winterized the system he still had nice figs on his tree.

• Nelson E.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH I forgot to ask if they do get cuttings whats the best way to store them while they are there? My uncle is going for a Month.

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I would say that they should just trim off all of the leaves except a couple of tiny ones at the tip and put the cuttings in a glass of water. When its time to come home they should put the cuttings in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel to stay moist. Good luck, hope they can hide them well in their luggage!!

-Little John

• Nelson E.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok thanks John

• noss
    13 years ago

Martin,

ROTFLOLOLOLOL!!!!! You are so funny!

noss

"Paully i would have given mine the fish mulch i call it but i have not gone fishing this year and the stuff at the store cost an arm and a leg, course the misses is happy as i did not burn a motor on her blender machine like last time when i just cut up the fish and packed em in there and turned it on high, heck i ddnt know you were suppose to add a little water and then oops."

• paully22
    13 years ago

Noss, I got the composted fish manure ready when I root prune + re-pot next year. Thanks to the excellent season for salmon fishing this year. I sure would like to see at least 2 ft growth for this 2 yr old plant.

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

I have since changed my method of shipping cuttings. DO NOT USE THE WET PAPER TOWEL... You are asking for mold... Have your uncle keep them in the refer triple wrapped in saran kitchen wrap. When he is ready to come back they will be fresh.

• noss
    13 years ago

Jon,

Please elaborate on how you triple wrap the cuttings. You mentioned this on another thread and it would be great if you would let us know how you prepare the cuttings before you wrap them and if you wrap them to keep air out, which is what triple-wrapping sounds to me.

Thanks,

noss