Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figarone

Iranian Mountain Figs

figarone
10 years ago

Hi All,

I have been looking for seeds and/or cuttings from what's proving a most elusive fig - the Iranian Mountain Fig (please see attached image from wikipedia).

I would be grateful for any advice/information or contacts you could suggest for furthering my quest!

Thank you in advance!

Comments (116)

• branko_ams
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You guessed it almost right. I am a Serb. Thanks for your compliment. This fig is one of my favorite. The lobs are not quite unique, but leaves are shiny, translucent or glass-like, when exposed to the sun rays, more than by other fig trees. I have about 140 of them.

How's with your atavistic strawberry plant? Did you get some fruit?

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

These is so interesting, I read the whole story just now.

The beauty of your Iranian Mountain fig got my attention.

Funny almost a year to the data I was responding ageing

Now that is interesting !

Last year Branko you posted that picture of your IMF I was sitting outside under the gazebo and rested my feet on the planter in which the what you call it atavistic strawberry was planted.

So I am reading your post that you posted on july 4th, loking at the pictures how complex and beautiful world we have the privilege to live, I take my eyes of my cellphone look strait at the strawberry plant that is by my feet and what I see is that atavistic syconium flower !

Now I thing that is strange don't you ?

Did I get fruit ?

I was watching it for a while, that syconium started drying out I picked it put it on grass table, I went in my house wanted to take white paper and my cell when I got in I got distracted with small familie problem.

After all settled down 3 hours later I remembered my little syconium flower that I patiently watched, looked at, talked to it almost every day was gone, I was so upset about that, still am.

That Strawberry plant gave me strawberries but no more atavistic syconium flower.

All that I remember about that strawberry plant that I wanted it to give me strawberries so every time there was a new shoot i pinched it off.

Cheers.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Yes, that is strange. This often happens to me as well. I have seven atavistic figs. Three of them are with a unique "flower" No one "flower" was repeated again. Atossa-fig repeats often the small protrusions that I call the Atossa's earrings. All my fig trees are still young and do not yet bear fruit. I'm not sure, but atavistic figs may be sterile, what means that they can not produce fruit. That's why I asked you if your atavistic strawberry plant is producing fruit.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Chinese wu hua guo fig.

Ficus Johannis

• Vojtěch Slavětinský
    5 years ago

hello Bramko.is it a selection of your seedlings wu hua guo +"Iranian Beauty" +mountain fig

?

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Wou guys these wu hua guo are beautiful in deed.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Hi Vojtech, Yes, those are my selected favorites. I have about 140 figs but 12 of them are my favorte. They are a bit differenet than the rest. I can easily recognise them. Figs get nice leaves only if you take good care of them. All my figs are straight, like a flute. No limbs and branches, until it reaches a height of 2 meters (6 feet).

I have sent you Iranian and Chinese dry figs. These are the same figs as mine.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Chinese mountain fig, Ficus Johannis.

We had a tropical summer this year, That's why this fig is so red.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

What an indescribable beauty.

Thanks for posting.

These is my for now unknown

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Very nice photo. Thank you. The fruit of this fig will be red. Did you buy this plant or you grow it out of the seed?

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

I got it from friend of my. about 3 years ago she was visiting Rome Italy that where she got the fig cuttings from.

I am not sure if I will ever it the figs of ththose one, it maybe needs wasps

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

I've never seen a red parthenocarpic fig. I'm sure the wasps are

needed to polinate this fig, but don't be dissapointed. In the near

future, you will be able to buy wasps on the market or online.

Even if you never have a ripe figs on your fig tree, sure you wil

get a lot of onripe ones.

Just look online for a: Onripe figs recipe.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

My Iranian anjeer kohi fig tree, which I posted in July 11, 2018 and which I call "Iranian beauty", is also atavistic.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

It may be that the red fig I posted few days ago is not Chinese but Iranian anjeer kohi. I probably put the wrong label. Yesterday I noticed that this fig tree is actually atavistic too. What could have triggered atavism in my figs? One of my friends was visiting me yesterday and he made a very nice photos.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Very nice picture, it would be interesting to see where that flower is growing out of.

I wanted to post the photo off the my Roman fig but I was not able to its its all changed.

Anyway e few figs starte to swell, it might not need wasps.

• branko_ams
    5 years ago

Hi Bluemoonlight, "Flower" grows from the leaf. This is the first "flower" of this fig tree. Also, this "flower" is much larger than all the previous "flowers" of Atossa fig.

I told you that the fruit of your fig tree will be red. Now, when I saw a picture of your figs, I think the fruit of your fig tree will not be red, but green or yellow.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Hi branko_ams,

That flower looks just like the one on my strawberry.

So the fig is ripe very, very sweet, soft skinnnd so are the seeds.

Here are a few pictures .

• Patrice Meert
    3 years ago

Branko, do you have again cuttings or seeds. These plants are so nice. Pmeert@ccep.com

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Patrice- To my knowledge, fig seeds typically do not produce a cultivar true to the parent.

• branko_ams
    3 years ago

Hi Patrice , Yes, this Iranian mountain figs are beautiful. They can grow on nutrient-poor soil or dry rocks, harsh climate, where no other plants can grow. But they will be much happier in your garden or balcony, with lots of sun, compost ground and lots of water. Give me your address, and I'll send you seeds in an ordinary envelope. You don't have to pay for it. It costs a little more than one euro. Regards

• branko_ams
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey, Kudzu9, you're right. If the flowers are naturally or artificially pollinated, you get hybrids. Hybrids can be of poor quality, comparable quality or better quality. You never know. Fruit of anjeer kohi is not of the best quality. The best fig fruit is from Smyrna fig cuttings. Americans imported thousands cuttings of the best female Smyrna fig trees from Turkey. They didn't get any fruit. It took them 50 years to figure out that they need specific fig insects and male trees. By spontaneous natural intersection, they got one fig tree, from seeds, which gives them the best fruits ever. This is what they say, but I don't believe it. They call it calimyrna fig. (california + smyrna. Iranian mountain figs are really beautiful. You can grow them from seeds. You get many different varieties. Some will surprise you.

Regards

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Not a fig grower, but for some reason I had a notice for this thread this morning. Just wanted to add a recent experience we had with natural pollination. I don't grow figs, but we do grow tomatoes. This year because of the pandemic, I just didn't go to the store at the right time to get seed, so I decided to just depend on volunteer tomato plants. I always get them although they are then very late in comparison to what we start from seed ourselves. We never really use them, we pull them. So we let them grow , thinking how great this will be, to have them without any effort. Last season we had just two types of cherry tomatoes. One old standby - Sungold - and the other a new hybrid from Johnny's, Valentine. Sungold is orange and Valentine is a cherry that is pear shaped and red.

Of course, you don't know what you are growing until they fruit. All we could see were the red pear shaped cherries. About a month later, I noticed one Sungold plant had grown in the middle of a stand of 3 Valentine. Valentine ripened first and we tried the first tomato, they were so awful tasting I actually wouldn't eat them, I spit them out. That has never happened before. The Sungold was a puny plant having had to compete with 3 other Valentine plants, so it ripened later. The Sungold is open pollinated and can come true from seed. Sure enough the Sungold was delicious. So we put Valentine in the compost heap and we ended up cutting out all those plants but one so I ended up with one cage of Sungold and one of Valentine. I kept one Valentine plant growing because some animal had been eating the tomatoes. So I figured if I left the one we didn't like, it might leave the Sungolds alone.

So, you never know what you are going to get, but isn't open pollinated seed more likely to come true from seed? How long does it take to get the first fruit on a fig tree? A longer wait to find out if it's any good or not?

• branko_ams
    3 years ago

Hello Patrice, I've sent you yesterday the seeds from 30 different fig fruits of anjeer kohi. You asked me if I need some cattings from your collection. You can send me some cuttings of your parthenocarpic figs, if you have them. If you don't, no problem. I have only Brown Turkey.

• soozifroozi
    3 years ago

Hello, branko_ams, can you ID figs? I have a very prolific fig tree, actually 3, the cutting came from Shiraz, Estahban I've been told. They are in the ground and just loaded with figs. The figs are delicious, and they ripen around this time of the year - October. The only thing I do for them is water occasionally. I would love to know for sure what kind of fig it is. I have never tried to dry them - they get eaten before that could happen. I love the Iranian dried figs. I shall try to post photos., and thank you.

soozifroozi · More Info

This is early in the season.

• branko_ams
    3 years ago

Hi Soozifroozi, The ripe fruit, in your picture, looks like the mountain fig ficus johannis, which is a type of ficus carica fig. Judging by the image of your fig tree and leaves, this is definitely the ficus carica, but no one can tell what variety it may be.

• branko_ams
    3 years ago

Right now I have 120 fig trees of ficus johannis. Most of them are five years old. Others are younger. This is the first and only fruit I've been given. This is the fruit of my unique Atossa fig, grown from seed in 2015. Atossa knows how to hide her fruit. I checked Atossa every day, but I couldn't see the fruit. Now it's autumn and the leaves have fallen, and I'm allowed to see it.

• soozifroozi
    3 years ago

Thanks for your reply, and the photo of the Atossa. I would love to see the inside of it when you cut it open. All morning I've been reading about the carica, and different fig varieties. To me, mine does not look like any of them, but I came across a photo of a fig plant with figs on it called "Iranian Desert" by the woman from whom she bought it. The leaves and fig look more like mine. The posts were from 3 years and more ago. This year, I had lots and lots of figs which ripened in late October - November. By the time I came to pick the last batch, the had all opened up flat, more so than the Iranian (Shirazi) dried figs. I gave away two of my fig trees as they were getting too big for my smallish garden to two delighted Iranians.

• Ace Jovanovski
    2 years ago

Zdravo, komšija, ja sam sa juga, Makedonac. Trenutno živim u TEXAS, SAD. Video sam neke od vaših postova i bio sam zapanjen vašim znanjem i ljubavlju prema hobiju! Preko zaključavanja pandemije, proširio sam kolekciju smokava na +100 sorti. Imam 3 devojčice koje vole da uživaju u hobiju sa mnom. Uvek me zanimaju vrste smokava koje niko drugi nema. Video sam da imate neke zanimljive iz IRAN i Kine (CHINA). Mogu da vam platim seme ili reznice ako želite da delite. Takođe imam nekoliko zanimljivih sorti iz California koje ću možda moći da podelim sa vama na jesen. Međutim, ne mogu da vam pošaljem poruku (mislim da vaša lična podešavanja na ovom forumu to sprečavaju). Možete da mi pošaljete e-poštu (Georgetowndentallab@gmail.com) ili me kontaktirate na messenger ili WhatsApp ako želite da razmenite informacije. Blagoslov, Ace

• soozifroozi
    2 years ago

TranslaTranslation, ple please

• branko_ams
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Atossa, atavistic fig, 09 July 2021.

I have 10 different anjeer kohi atavistic. figs. Five of them

often repeat their atavistic properties, and the other five

showed it only once, when they were seedlings.

• branko_ams
    2 years ago

Iranian atavistic anjeer kohi fig, ficus johannis. I coll it Atossa, because it's unique. Because it is grown from the seeds, I do not know whether Atossa is the male or female. The difference is very small. No one can say it now. This can only be confirmed in the laboratory. Both sexes have flowers inside syconium. Later, if the syconium is infested with insects and worms, then it is certainly a male. The female receives the fruit.

By the way, the syconium looks like a fruit, but it is not, because the flowers inside have not yet been pollinated.

• branko_ams
    2 years ago

Parsley or fig?

I call it princess Jelena fig.

Iranian mountain fig anjeer kohi

• bluemoonlight
    2 years ago

Beautiful leaf ! I love the name you give it ❤

Where are you growing this fig trees, i forgat 🤔

• branko_ams
    last year
    last modified: last year

There are 53 more comments and photos of figs here on this page, but you have to register to see them. There is also photo of atavistic strawberry, which is posted by our colleague Bluemoonlight

• branko_ams
    last year

Few days ago I noticed one atavistic outgrow on my mahonia

plant (aquifolium berberis.) I didn't grow it from seed. I got the

cutting from one of my friends.

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Hello Branko nice of yo stop by ! If I go to tha link will I be able to see some of your Iranian fig specimens?

That leaves looks like its growing inside somewhere, is it?

How can I get seeds or cuttings, do you sell material like that ? If not, do you know about someone that I can contact?

I am retired and would love to try my luck growing something that would widen my experience.

I apologizef or so many questions, by nature I am very curious creature 🤔

Best regards

Anna

• branko_ams
    last year

Hi Anna, You can see more pictures. The link is above. You have to scroll above....and click. I have a lot of anjeer kohi fig seeds. I will send you some in envelope. It cost me only 1 euro. You don't have to pay for it. Pity you didn't ask me before.

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Hi Dušan, the wise man says "There is a special time tor everything"

Thank you for your email I will definitely email you. I tried to click on that link but sor some reason could not see much, I will try again when I get more time.

Last July my husband suffered stroke, so time is precious. I am also asking for seeds as I need to have relax my sences.

Best regards

• branko_ams
    last year

I wish you a lot of strength for you Anna

and a speedy recovery for your husband.

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Thank you so much, it's heartbreaking to see once strong viking looking man crumble like that, he is recovering but way to slow for him, but he is strong personality and working hard in his disability.

Cheers

Anna

• Timothy Howland
    last year

Hello branko_ams

Are you still able to find this type of dried figs?

• branko_ams
    last year

Hello Timothy,

I have fig seeds, but, unfortunately, it is

impossible to send them to America.

U balkanske zemlje, mogu besplatno da posaljem

seme od anjeer kohi, svakom ko zatrazi.

• Embothrium
    last year

Ficus johannis subsp. afghanistanica 'Silver Lyre' introduced by Cistus nursery in Oregon, United States has been on the general garden center market in North America.

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Dušan, I emailed you and still waiting for answers. Please respond.

Best regards

• branko_ams
    last year

I don't see any new message from you.

• branko_ams
    last year

This was attached to the roots of my Persian atavistic

fig, which I call Atossa fig. It grows in the plant

saucer, in the water, under the fig tree

• Bluemoonlight
    last year

Leave look beautiful, beanko_ams would you be able to e-mail me annadugo@yahoo.ca

I would love to have some seeds, or cuttings.

What is your location ?

Where do you grow it in ground or pot ?

Does it needs pollinator ?

Regards

• branko_ams
    last year

Atossa

Ficus johannis

"Anjeer kohi"

• branko_ams
    last year