Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DC/Baltimore/NY dead figs -- how to prune new shoots?

Posted by elisa_Z5 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 10:11

I've searched around to see if there are answers to this question yet but mostly found threads where people were asking what to do with dead figs that are now growing new shoots from the base. And most threads were from earlier in the summer -- apologies if the answers have already been discussed and I just didn't find them.

So, we have a fig that was big, and now is a mass of dead branches and long new shoots. I think I see from other posts that I should definitely cut the old branches back (as short as possible? leave a foot or two?)

How should the new sprouts be handled? Leave them all? Cut back all but a few? Some are tall -- 7 feet -- and some are shorter and growing laterally along the ground.

Also, this fig was always very healthy, but now has white powdery something on the leaves. Anything to be done about this, or just leave it? Leaves are still green.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DC/Baltimore/NY dead figs -- how to prune new shoots?

Inground you can keep 4 or 5 of the healthiest branches, dead branches cut as low as possible. several of the ones growing laterally
on ground can be buried up to last node to insure plants survival
just in case with un predictable winters many have been experiencing.

Our Winter near Chicago was brutal last season .

Martin

o
RE: DC/Baltimore/NY dead figs -- how to prune new shoots?

Thanks very much for the information, Martin!
Will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here