Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winsorw

Violette De Bordeaux Fig

winsorw
15 years ago

Has anyone know a reliable place that sells Violette De Bordeaux Fig? I've read that even sometime it's not the variety a nursery claims.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• cazimere
    15 years ago

I just purchased one from Burnt Ridge Nursery.
    Here's a like to a site that rates Online garden centers and nurserys.
    http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/779/

• paully22
    15 years ago

If U want the real thing, theres a few regular members who may part one or try Jon of ENCANTO Farms.

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

If Encanto Farms doesn't have it. Both Edible Landscaping and Raintree have VdB and they have excellent reputations.

Vinnie

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/index.php?plantSearch=Figs

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=FIGS

• svanessa
    15 years ago

I bought mine from Burnt Ridge Nursery this year. Nice plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge Nursery

• scott_ga
    15 years ago

I got mine from edible landscaping last year and it is bearing this year. I can sure recommend them.

• rob5020
    15 years ago

Hello Everybody,
    I was just wondering will the Violette De Bordeaux do good in Michigan?Thank's and God Bless you all...
    Robert

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Scott_ga what size did you originally buy the gallon,quart size? I bought the quart size and recieved it a week ago it does look good.
    Rob5020, i think with winter protection like a garage or basement you will be ok,thats what i do i have a real late unknown that works for me along with other fig trees.
    Im south of chicago and not near the lake which influences the nightly temps in the winter. The night time temps drop lower the farther from the lake you are .
    Martin

• paully22
    15 years ago

I know a fig collector has 3 kinds of VdB excluding Fred's Born one. Isn't this confusion fun !

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

I had a UCD cutting of VdB, but it wasn't "Fool Proof"

so mine dropped dead.

There is a hidden message in there :-)
    I will try to get another cutting one of these days.

Cecil

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Cecil,
    the one i bought is small came in a quart pot, i was thinking of keeping it in the home this year instead of dormant in garage, we do not get many sunny days here in winter. Im trying to get some growth to it,have you ever done this or anyone else please chime in. So anyways you never know cecil maybe next year it might have some good limbs that need pruning. :O)~
    Martin

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Martin I was thinking about keeping some of my young plants in the house this winter especially my little B. Ischia and Kadota (both from UCD) they haven't grown very much this year, so others input on trying to leave the plants in the house will be interesting.
    And thanks for thinking of me on the cutting!
    I ordered VdB fom James Robin along with B Sicilian but he is not going to be able to send me those 2, I am supposed to get Smith & Hollier from him this fall.
    Cecil

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Anytime Cecil, i hope it will root like my unknown .i will show pictures of that when the fig ripes. All i do with that one is cut branch and stick it in the same pot and it get partial sun but always they grow i wish all fig trees would be that easy.
    Martin

• winsorw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the info.
    Winsor

• scott_ga
    15 years ago

Hey Dieseler,

I got the quart size last year, but I got it early in the spring. It only has a few figs on it this year--after pinching the branches to encourage fruiting. Very tasty and worth the wait.

Scott

• sooba
    15 years ago

I got mine (actually 2 ) from raintree. They look great so far.... we shall see. (Salt Lake City)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner