Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violette De Bordeaux Fig

Posted by winsorw (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 10:47

Has anyone know a reliable place that sells Violette De Bordeaux Fig? I've read that even sometime it's not the variety a nursery claims.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violette De Bordeaux Fig

I just purchased one from Burnt Ridge Nursery.
Here's a like to a site that rates Online garden centers and nurserys.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/779/

o

If U want the real thing, theres a few regular members who may part one or try Jon of ENCANTO Farms.

o

If Encanto Farms doesn't have it. Both Edible Landscaping and Raintree have VdB and they have excellent reputations.

Vinnie

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/index.php?plantSearch=Figs

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=FIGS

o

I bought mine from Burnt Ridge Nursery this year. Nice plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge Nursery

o

I got mine from edible landscaping last year and it is bearing this year. I can sure recommend them.

o

Hello Everybody,
I was just wondering will the Violette De Bordeaux do good in Michigan?Thank's and God Bless you all...
Robert

o

Scott_ga what size did you originally buy the gallon,quart size? I bought the quart size and recieved it a week ago it does look good.
Rob5020, i think with winter protection like a garage or basement you will be ok,thats what i do i have a real late unknown that works for me along with other fig trees.
Im south of chicago and not near the lake which influences the nightly temps in the winter. The night time temps drop lower the farther from the lake you are .
Martin

o

I know a fig collector has 3 kinds of VdB excluding Fred's Born one. Isn't this confusion fun !

o

I had a UCD cutting of VdB, but it wasn't "Fool Proof"

so mine dropped dead.

There is a hidden message in there :-)
I will try to get another cutting one of these days.

Cecil

o

Cecil,
the one i bought is small came in a quart pot, i was thinking of keeping it in the home this year instead of dormant in garage, we do not get many sunny days here in winter. Im trying to get some growth to it,have you ever done this or anyone else please chime in. So anyways you never know cecil maybe next year it might have some good limbs that need pruning. :O)~
Martin

o

Martin I was thinking about keeping some of my young plants in the house this winter especially my little B. Ischia and Kadota (both from UCD) they haven't grown very much this year, so others input on trying to leave the plants in the house will be interesting.
And thanks for thinking of me on the cutting!
I ordered VdB fom James Robin along with B Sicilian but he is not going to be able to send me those 2, I am supposed to get Smith & Hollier from him this fall.
Cecil

o
RE: Violette De Bordeaux Figs

Anytime Cecil, i hope it will root like my unknown .i will show pictures of that when the fig ripes. All i do with that one is cut branch and stick it in the same pot and it get partial sun but always they grow i wish all fig trees would be that easy.
Martin

o

Thank you all for the info.
Winsor

o

Hey Dieseler,

I got the quart size last year, but I got it early in the spring. It only has a few figs on it this year--after pinching the branches to encourage fruiting. Very tasty and worth the wait.

Scott

o

I got mine (actually 2 ) from raintree. They look great so far.... we shall see. (Salt Lake City)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here