Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingevald

Photos -large fig tree in containers - Botanic Group

ingevald
15 years ago

I located what appears to be a German nursery online catalogue. Their photos show some huge fig trees in containers - some look like giant bonsai. There are several products and if you click on a picture from the main page, more photos are available of each category, and each one of those photos can be enlarged by clicking. Near the bottom of the page click on next 'nächste' for page two. There you will find some nice ficus bonsai specimens near the bottom. The site language is German, Turkish and English. Use the German language option since some of the products disappear using other languages.

Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanic Group

Comments (8)

• ingevald
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The above link was to the English site - oops - hopefully this will be correct.
    Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanic Group German

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Ingevald,
    thanks for sharing that, i wonder what the placemnt of sticks inside the top of container if you look closely you can see them on each side of the trunks.
    Martin

• ingevald
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I found another site that has some very nice pictures of giant fig trees in containers. They also have pictures of citrus, pomegranate, etc. It is a place called Spanish Plants in the UK.
    I think that it would be interesting to hear from one of these nurseries that grows these 'giant bonsai' looking plants. I would like to know how long it took to grow them and other specifics.

Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Plants nursery

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Ingevald, i wonder as well, you know for a nursery to have a fig tree grow that many years to get a trunk of that diameter i would think would not be profitable. I also think the fig trees that have the big trunks like that are at minimum of 20 years old. I have noticed mine which are 5 and 6 getting fatter trunks as i grow mine more tree like each season and top trim there tops and sides in a similar fashion. Our family tree had a trunk as such but that tree was at least 45 plus years grown in Chicago. Perhaps they were dug from some sort of orchard that was closeing or land was sold and potted to sell?
    Martin

• ingevald
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martin,
    Interesting thoughts about the process. I don't have much solid information to add since it would be pure speculation. They may be growing these in greenhouses, but I am not sure.

I am very curious about the potting soil, and the frequency of fertilizing. I am sure that the pruning is straight forward but I would still like to know there exact procedures. Lastly, I wonder about the production of these big 'bonsai' figs (and pomegranates). The pictures of the Belleclare nursery trees come close in size to these big potted figs from the European nurseries. Someone once told me that while he was visiting Belleclare many years ago, one of the Dipaola brothers had recently counted how many figs they got off of one of their huge potted figs. I can't find my notes on this conversation, but am thinking that it was around 200 - perhaps someone else will have a better sense of the correct number.

This is slightly off topic, but on this link there are there pictures of figs growing in unusual spots - a crack in the mortar, on top of a wall and out the face of a wall.

Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Fico comune -

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Yes im also curios about the potting soil as well and there watering procedures. 200 fogs is not uncommon though as my 1 Sal's tree gives me that amount my Chicago Hardy is not nearly as productive and probably get a heavier pruning next season.

Martin

• big_al_41
    15 years ago

Martin, I think and this is only a guess on my part, but those sticks or boards are either bolted thru the pot to the bottom because the tree is top heavy or its just a spots to anchor the water emitters....but your right they are huge ..me thinks a lot years of pruning to give life to new trees and theses might be their breeding stock they need to sell now.

Big Al

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Big Al,
    thats brilliant i think your absoluetly right about your whole paragraph above!!!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County