Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about suckers?

Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 11:09

We have two very mature Kadota trees. I am a renter, but have lived on this property for seven years and I have been cutting back suckers during that time. The landlord now wants to let the suckers go. I have no idea what the outcome of this will be. Can someone help with this, please?

Separately...if I wanted to propagate from suckers...when is the best time of the year to do this? If I dig the suckers will I get some roots also, and just put them in pots? I have an unheated greenhouse in which they could over-winter.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about suckers?

Lon,
I grew a couple trees from suckers earlier this summer, here is what you do...
Gently remove the soil from around the sucker, trying not to break off the roots growing from the sucker, until you reach the point where it meets the main trunk. If there are some roots on the sucker beneath soil level then you can sever the sucker with a sharp and clean pair of pruning sheers right where it meets the main trunk. Then just pot the sucker with it's roots in a small pot with some loose soil, water it very slightly if the soil isn't wet and put it in a shady area where it can establish a full root system. When I did it, the leaves shriveled almost immediately, so i trimmed them off and waited and after a couple weeks or so it put out new growth. The key to remember is it won't have much in the way of roots so if the soil doesn't drain good it will root rot because there's no root system to soak up all the water yet. If it was me, I'd go ahead and try it now, especially since you're in a warmer climate then me. Good luck!
Timothy

o

Rooting cuttings is so easy I wouldn't bother digging out suckers.

o

If you're not comfortable digging out the suckers I would air layer them for best results. Just do a google image search to familiarize yourself with the concept. You'll have fun and learn more about plant propagation!!

o

multi graft?

Thanks,

Nazmi Cardak

Nazmi Ali Cardak

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here