Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ripening times and conditions

Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 11:11

This summer has been unusually cool, but finally we got into the 80s last week and it is holding there. I expected my slow ripening figs to speed up, but they're not so far. Black Jack and VdB are still maturing with a miserly pace of one per day for the BJ, and one per week for the VdB--in other words, same as before. Doesn't increased heat cause figs to ripen faster? Or, since these varieties are supposed to be suited to coastal conditions, will they mature at the same pace regardless of increase in heat?

Another question for experienced figgies: Is there a general rule for the length of time from the first appearance of fig bud until the fig is mature enough to begin the ripening process?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ripening times and conditions

The number of days quoted on fig forums range from 70 to 90 days from fig appearance to fig ripening depending on the fig variety and the location. The location determines the average heat units available in a normal year for the location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here