Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafed_gw

Pastiliere

rafed
9 years ago

I have been growing this fig for several years now and when it finally started to fruit a couple years ago they all dropped. I guess this cultivar is known for it.

It is also my understanding this will stop or slow down as the tree matures.

This year I am optimistic because the eyes (osteole) are turning red. This is something I did not see the last couple years.
Instead, they turned yellowish and dropped.

I will give it this season and one more, otherwise I will give it away to a relative that I know will not take care of it. This way I wont feel bad if they lose it. it's a win win. LOL
We shall see,,,

Please enjoy the pictures,

Comments (28)

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fruit turned yellowish and dropped*

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Rafed my ucdavis pastiliere cultivar did similar over the years and discarded.

Well knowledgeble person mentioned on a forum that this cultivar is only partially pathogenic and needed the wasp help for pollination.

Would only get several fully ripe figs each season even though the plant produced many more that would
    not persist.

Trialing Rouge de Bordeuax to see if it does the same but
    it was severely damaged past winter and sent up 1
    shoot at the base.

Martin

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Martin

I guess I'll get rid of it then. No sense in wasting time and space.
    The Rouge De Bordeaux you gave me suffered a lot this past winter. But just woke up about a month or so ago. I will monitor it as well.

• ampersand12
    9 years ago

Hopefully you get some fruit, Rafed.

Martin, I thought Rouge dB was the same as Pastiliere?

Kelby

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Ampersand
    Baud mentions Rouge de Bordeaux
    as a syn to Pastiliere only readings i have come across that mentions that if memory serves correct but it's not as good as it used to be.

I will only be able to compare Rouge de Bordeaux and Pastiliere from UcDavis stock as ours did not come from Bauds .

Rafed ours appear to awaken around same time the lone branch is about a foot tall set back 3 growing seasons and hopefully this winter it will survive storage.

Martin

• Jtoi
    9 years ago

I will be getting this one this winter and I am planning to plant 1 in ground to see if this helps with the figs sticking or not, my thought is maybe it just needs to spread it's roots, or maybe needs extra boron to keep them from falling off, just guesses at this point though.

• newnandawg
    9 years ago

Rafed and Martin, I sure hate hearing that bad news. I have first year tree and it is growing really well. I am like Rafed, don't want to waste my time and limited space on one that will not produce. I have two that I put in ground this past spring that will be moving on because of dropping figs.

• mgginva
    9 years ago

hhmm,
    Rafed, nice.
    Martin and Rafed, et.al. I have a large Rouge de Bordeaux that dropped every fig AGAIN! My Pastillere is only 2 so not expecting anything.

• tony_c_m
    9 years ago

I got my Pastiliere from UCD. It's on it's second year and producing about a dozen figs. If it drops all it's figs I'll try one more year also then if it drops all it's figs again will have to go too. No figs, no room at the inn!

• luke10
    9 years ago

Hi Martin, my RDB has two figs main crop just starting to change colour I really don't think it will ripen here,
    Will take some pics a bit later and edit post, would love to know if it looks the same as yours.

This post was edited by luke10 on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 8:11

• luke10
    9 years ago

Sorry for double post, could only seem to post 1 file.

• luke10
    9 years ago

Sorry again.

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Luke i make another thread not to step on Rafeds.
    Martin

• purplefig
    9 years ago

Guys, sorry to hear about your Pastilliere troubles.
    For me here, in Los Angeles, it is the best fig you can think of and it doesnâÂÂt drop a single fig. Maybe the wasps help, as you mentioned?

• rob_ster
    9 years ago

I have a Pastilliere in it's second year that produced it's first 3 figs, as for now they stay on.
    However my 3rd year Col de Dame blanc dropped all its figs, my Macca about 40% and my Dauphine a few.
    In august we had about 3 weeks of rain over here in Holland,could it have something to do with the figs dropping?
    Didn't have that problem last year with the CDD.

Rob

• magnificco
    9 years ago

Had my first wonderful perfect pastilliere fruits this week. They were on the only branch which first leaves weren't destroyed by frost in april.
    All the other branches' figs will follow in 1-3 weeks I would guess.
    Not one single drop of fruit even with quite wet and cold (nights with 8-10ð Celsius) in August.
    I'd say that there is really lots of fake variety crap there in US fig market. They often do not look like ours in Europe...

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

magnificco

Would mind posting some pictures of your tree?
    Leaves and fruit.

I'd like to compare to mine.

Thanks

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got home and went to the yard to check on things. My dad cut a bunch of RDB's and Dark Greek. He said he cut a very huge dark one. Like that helps right?;)

Anyway,
    It appears the Pastilliere will ripen here in Michigan. The first one pictured over ripen and fell. I guess a bit too late.
    The other two should be ready in a day or too. I hope.
    I'll be home for the next couple days.

Fingers crossed.

The mushy one pictured is the one that fell.

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A bad storm rolled through last night. Knocking many of my trees.
    Checked on the two remaining figs pictured above and are still intact.
    I hope they will be ready by tomorrow evening. I have to leave early Monday morning and hate to miss out on the opportunity.

• newnandawg
    9 years ago

Hi Rafed, first real period I haven't been zonked. I do remember sending you
    the message but not what I said. Should go home Sun morning.

I sure like the looks of this fig. My first year tree should produce next season. It has been a prolific grower. Thanks for sharing the pics.

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It needed just one more day but the clear and present danger from the tree rats forced me to take it early.
    Yes, it was good. Fruity taste.
    It has earned a larger pot and that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. The last of the three should be ready by midday tomorrow.

• quackmaster
    9 years ago

I have a question rafed, is this your unk pastiliere or pastiliere from another source? I have a pastiliere from rain tree that drops every fig as mentioned but the unk pastiliere that I got a couple months ago seems to be different, at least by looking at the leafs. The unk pastiliere didn't try to fruit yet.

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ryan,

This is the Pasitliliere and my understanding is my source got it years ago from Bauds.
    They say this fig gets better and better with age. I was giving it another year max. to perform. I think it answered the call. Definitely a keeper.
    A friend of mine had one and gave it away after only two seasons. He now regrets it.

The story behind the Unk. Pastiliere is and if memory serves me is Jon found it at some farmers market somewhere in Southern California. The original source did not have any info on it but I guess at the time it was agreed upon by Jon or by others that it is very similar to the Pastiliere. Hence, the name Unk. Pastiliere.

Unfortunately the Unk. pastiliere may indeed need the wasp. I will give my tree one more season to perform.

I believe I know who you got your Unk. Pastiliere from, that person got it from me. Hers is doing great but consider her location

Hope this helps.

• quackmaster
    9 years ago

I hear ya, I'm hoping my pastiliere from rain tree will eventually hold on to its figs till the ripen but this is the first year I have it and it's still in a pot so I really didn't expect much from it. I got my unk pastiliere from a f4f member from Texas and she told me who she got it from and maybe her source got it from you but I can't say for sure.

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ryan,

Does her name start with an 'M' and end with 'N'?

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one from this cultivar. 3 out of 3 is awesome! Hope for many more next season.
    This is an awesome fig folks. Must have for those who have room for another one.

I did not up pot it like I said I would but will this weekend for sure.

• rjcantor
    9 years ago

Congratulations!

• mgginva
    9 years ago

Rafed,
    Those really are beautiful. I guess I better up pot mine and move it into a sunnier spot.