Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyler_j

Fig in glass greenhouse

tyler_j
11 years ago

Hello!

Last year I bought a small fig tree at a local nursery and planted it in my glass greenhouse I built that is 10x12. I don't know the variety as the label didn't say what it was. It grew to about 4 feet or so (bought and planted it in late summer). The greenhouse is unheated during the winter. This spring I noticed last years growth was dead. Luckily it grew again from the roots and currently is about 5' tall and has some figs just starting.

I assume because the growth died over winter it needs more protection from the cold. Will making a wire cage around it and filling with straw or insulation of some sort provide adequate protection from the cold? Or should I dig it up after dormancy and pot it and bring it to the basement? If I keep it in the greenhouse in the ground should I keep the vents open so that it doesn't warm up too much during sunny days over winter? It can get quite warm despite outside temps on a clear sunny day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Tyler

Comments (7)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Tyler...

Many times retail nurseries buy seedling-propagated figs, then sell them to the unsuspecting public. These no-name trees may never produce edible, or, great tasting, figs. Unfortunate, but sadly, true. I never buy any trees from an unknown source, even a nursery. That being said, you may very well have a tree of value, but you will have to wait to judge the flavor of the figs produced. If you post photos of some leaves, and ripe figs...cut from eye through to the stem...sometimes the variety can be identified.

Over-wintering in Ontario can be problematic. The very low temp's. usually do the damage, especially if the current year's growth has not hardened-off before freezing cold weather sets in. If the greenhouse is kept too warm, unseasonable growth may start, and then be killed off when temp's. plunge. I think keeping trees cool, but just above freezing temp's. will work. So will an unheated basement, storage shed, garage, etc. providing temp. range around, high 30s to low 40s degrees F. Keep trees dormant as long as possible so that when they sprout next spring, the outside temp's will support new growth.

A search on this forum will probably give you more options.

Hope this may help. Good luck.

Frank

• Tony3
    11 years ago

I have given some consideration to putting up a greenhouse, but never followed thru. One of the most important factors is temperature control(why I never Installed one). This can be effected by the location, materials used in construction, and the temperature control system. During the day(even in winter) temps can get very warm in a green house and then plummet at night because of the poor insulation value of the glass. For this reason vents should be used to moderate daytime temps(keep lower) and insulation and heating should be used to keep night temps higher with an ideal target of a constant 30-40 degrees while the fig is dormant.

• tyler_j
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I might pot this tree after it goes dormant. I think with my greenhouse setup it will be difficult to control the large temperature swings during the winter and it will me much easier to just move it potted to a controlled environment. I will post some pics of the leaves and figs (although very small right now) to see if someone might be able to identify it. Thanks again.

Tyler

• tyler_j
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some pics of the leaves if someone can help me identify it possibly??

• tyler_j
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one looks different but from the same tree.

• tyler_j
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is how the growth looks from the top of the tree.

• tyler_j
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I'm guessing these figs will not ripen in time this year.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County