Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs not ripening

Posted by recoil_rob 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 11:38

Here in southern NY it has been a good growing season, plenty of heat and rain, but my fruits seem to be stuck at the size of grapes. I have 3 trees, they are generic fig trees bought at a garden center many years ago, this forum looked at some pics last year and told me one is Petit Negra and the other two produce green fruits, probably Latarulla or Sicilain Whites. They are in containers with Al's mixture, they get watered every day when it doesn't rain, fed once a week with foliage grow and I have been pinching back whenever new leaves appear at the tips.

The trees look very healthy and are covered in fruits of all sizes but they seem to stop when about the size of grapes. There are new fruits appearing all the time and I am wondering if I should start pinching those off to allow the others to grow and ripen.

thanks,

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs not ripening

Your in the stagnant stage which can last 4 to 6 weeks. To help you can eliminate any that have formed in the last couple weeks. This will concentrate energy into ripening the rest.

You're still looking at mid to late August before seeing ripe fruits. Age can be an influence as well.

o

How long it takes a fig to ripen. I heaed 90 days and I heard 120 days. I have the same problenm he has. I have on the same tree figs with diameter of 1.5 inch, 1 inch 3/4 inch and ones which are very small. I Am going to remove the small ones and see what will happen.

o

WEll, it seems that I too have this same problem!

It seems that everyone in my area has no problem with theirs except for me. I just don't get it.
Sometimes I wonder if it could possibly just get to hot for them to grow.

Mine are on a flat roof receiving at leats 8 hours of sun all day, but it's very hot up there.

I am doing the same as you. I too am using Al's mix and fertilize frequently. Watering is timed as needed and they are all in black pots, not root bound, but close to it since roots grow fast and can fill a container by the end of summer.

Mike:-)

o

I cut 55gal plastic drums in half for my pots, this is the third year they are in them so I will have to root prune at the end of the season.

The first year I potted them I went too far with the root prune and got very little in the way of fruits. Last year was terrible weather, a lot of my PN's exploded from too much rain.

I am still hoping for some success this year but I have to tell you I am very frustrated and may just sell the damn things. With all the time and energy expended, not to mention the money, I could buy several dozen figs/week and be ahead of the game.

o

I am with you on that one!

Not to say that one has to find a secure frost free place for them to hibernate all winter!

o

My mom has an extra garage, I trailer them up there. PIA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here