Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Violet de Bordeaux Figs

dieseler
13 years ago

Here are some Violet de Bordeaux figs starting .

{{gwi:807696}}

{{gwi:807699}}

{{gwi:807702}}

Martin

Ebay Id

Dieseler6z92

Comments (26)

• jaybird3316
    13 years ago

great camera work!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

One of my favorite named varieties. They are oh so good ripened under the Arizona sun.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

I have 4 almost ready. I got one yesterday that was soft, but it wasn't ripe yet. Still sweet and rich. The rest shall stay on the tree till tomorrow afternoon because we will be out of town. Fingers crossed they don't drop before I can get to them.
    Suzi

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

My new VdB is ripening its figlets at a maddeningly slow pace. It set about 6 figs back in late May and two have ripened this month so far. The other four are just sitting there, no changes. Doesn't the fig tree know it's August, lol??

• murkwell
    13 years ago

From a week or two ago. Negronne. I have some pictures of cut ones on my phone but its having problems right now.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Keep the pictures coming !
    I'll have some ripe ones to post in near future as well..
    Thanks
    Martin
    Ebay Id
    Dieseler6z92

• murkwell
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention that they tasted incredible during our heat wave of several days of 90+ degree weather. These are a week or so later than the pictures of the whole figs.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that a breba crop ?
    I noticed the interior seems to have that shape toward the eye of the fig.
    Thanks Martin

• murkwell
    13 years ago

Yes, these are breba figs. We had a cold spring and early summer so I think these are later than they otherwise would be.

Please explain further. Are you saying that there is a characteristic shape near the eye that allows you to discern that these are breba figs?

• noss
    13 years ago

Are Violet de Bordeaux and Negronne the same variety?

noss

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My VdB same or similar as your plant the pulp fills in more toward the eye and does not look like that on my main crop.

Noss some older books (Gustav) describe them as being different, i do not have Negronne to compare with mine.
    Martin

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Martin.
    I have Negronne,that I got some years ago from One Green World ,looks very similiar to your Violet de B.but not sure they are the same .I can send you some cutting of my
    Negronne in the Fall if you like to compare them.My Valle Negra that I got from Sergio (Genova)produced some very good brebas this year of very good quality,hope the main crop will be as good ,this could be very close related to Petit Negra,but again I do not have P.N.to compare.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Giuseppe maybe one day i need to thin out some plants first in a season or two as space is at a minimum for now.
    Here are some fruit that i will pick maybe this evening.
    {{gwi:807714}}
    Martin

• murkwell
    13 years ago

I prefer the wrinkled one on the left. It doesn't look as pretty but I bet it tastes the best.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are photo's plus and extra picked fig.
    Murky i know what you mean, it depends for me, sometimes i like them a little more ripe and sometimes i like a little firmness to them.
    My better half likes pears that are underipe and i like them right at the begin stage of ripe.
    {{gwi:807718}}
    Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a trio starting to ripen
    {{gwi:807720}}
    Martin

• wild_forager
    13 years ago

My VdB are doing quite well. This is my first year getting figs from it (it's potted). Of all the varieties I've grown it is second in taste only to Blue Celeste.

But I'm wondering about my breba crop. I will probably need to root prune. Will doing this hurt the breba crop?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Picked these for Breakfast this morning along with some other types not shown (all VdB Figs) and they were nice and chilled to eat as temp was in the 50s when picked. ; )

Some picture of fruit still on tree near ripe i picked a few of those hanging and left a few to ripen further.

This now my favorite tasting fig above Hardy Chicago.
    Again first taste to my palate when slowly eaten was of Mulberries my brother and i used to eat in Chicago across alley from grandmothers yard.
    That tree produced real dark fruit that stained our hands and everything we touched.
    Those were some wonderful memories i dont forget.
    {{gwi:807723}}
    {{gwi:807726}}
    Martin
    Ebay Id - Dieseler6z92

• ejp3
    13 years ago

My vdb's are outstanding this year. Does anyone in zone 7 or lower grow vdb in the ground? I think Herman might. This years crop is making me consider putting one in the ground!

• noss
    13 years ago

How does the VdB do in the deep, soggy South and really high heat down here on the bayou? It looks like it has an open eye. Does it split and sour easily in rainy weather? They look so good!

noss

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Noss,
    i cant answer that qustion with certanty. As the ones pictured on that plate were getting ripe it rained almost 2 inches over last 2 days including night before they were picked these not split but its still not a good gauge of them i feel how they wood do especially in your area maybe DAN who lives in Louisiana can chime in best for you here. !
    Martin

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Who can ask for anthing more?

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hey Martin! I love to see the pictures of your figs! Your figs are so beautiful! I know you only grow dark figs and I have to tell you. My wife and I have been trying to decide which dark figs taste the best this year. The 3 were Ronde de Bourdeaux, Black Madeira and Violet de bourdeaux. My wife said RdB was the sweetest but she did not get a chance to taste VdB. What's your sweetest fig this year?

Like you I to leave my figs on the tree untill they wrinkle. BM has an unique flavor and sweetness that is so hard to describe. But to me RdB and Vdb are in first place. Again, awesome pics! Great job and keep doing what you do! cheers, Dennis

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh thanks Dennis i really enjoy taking pictures its a lot of fun. You know when i joined little more than 5 years ago people seemed surprised and would say you grow figs near Chicago? But then i was not taking pictures and by the time i did more and more members starting posting and it no longer is a big deal about figs growing in my area nor Mich or Canada. Course some of us cheat and grow in pots. ; )
    My Edible Lanscaping Sals was sweetest this season but has fallen down my list in favor of some others cause i favor a more rich or berry tasting fig not overpowered by the sweet.
    My Sana Cruz Dark has a unique sweetness to it but thats about all the flavor it offers so i cut up for scion and put it up this winter to help offest some cost of growing my plants.
    This season my Violet de Bordeaux was to me my best tasting fig nudging out my Hardy Chicago . Ronde i get to taste maybe 5 days or less there getting ripe now. My Madeira Black i had figs last season no ripe but tree was young and this season when i was wheeling all my trees in and out of garage onto driveway to get a head start they all were doing well Madeira started opening its buds at 30 inches tall and then Bam they just wilted and the main trunk dies to about 6 inches so it got set back a full season or more . Main trunk did nothing and it sent a shoot from it at soil level now about 10 inches tall . Next season if it survives garage storage i wont take it out as early in the high 40s like my others.
    I really hope my Ronde is not all sweet and not much flavor cause its my fastest young juvenile in yard. Time will tell with that as others.
    So sorry for long answer el.sals sweetest and i hope not too many more i have are not going to be just like it but i keep it for all these years cause its very reliable produces very well but 1 of these is enough for sweetness for me.
    Martin

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

WOW I just ate my first main crop VdB and for once the catalog descriptions are true--just like raspberry jam! The brebas were good but not great.

Now I can't wait for Panache Tiger to see if it will live up to its reputation.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, girlbug2:

Did you get to taste your Panachee fig?
    Did it live up to your expectation?