Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Caught a fig thief red handed! :)

I got home from work and saw a pickup truck parked next to my fig tree. Someone was on a ladder picking away! I got out my Colt 45 and walked out to the tree with it in my hand.

When I got close all I could see was a pair of legs near the top of the ladder. I shouted, "hey you, what do you think you are doing!!!!" A clearly startled voice screamed " Don't shoot! I'm your cousin Joe!"

It WAS my cousin Joe! I had forgot that my Dad let him pick most of the figs every year! Dad died last August and my brothers and I inherited the farm. I bought out my brothers shares since I live next door.

We had a good laugh after he stopped shaking. I told him it was fine, just call me and let me know ahead of time! He always shared the preserves and wine he made from them with my Dad. Now he is going to do the same with me! Great deal for both of us! Best wine I have ever tasted!

Now I don't have to figure out what to do with all of the extras!

I also told him to help himself to my apples and pears.

Comments (8)

• wabikeguy
    12 years ago

Now THAT'S funny, and I can relate.

More than once I've had people help themselves to fruit from my trees while I was away at work. One or two oranges or avacados from the perimeter of my place would have been ok.

Walking away with bags and bags of fruit and leaving broken branches behind...like I said....I can relate.

Dave

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

Pull a gun on a guy in your Fig tree? ...then when he sees the gun and panics and takes his own gun out and one of you shoots the other I can see the news report now "man ends up with gunshot wound in hospital in dispute over figs..."

• ejp3
    12 years ago

I have always wanted to make fig wine. The only problem I see is that it takes an enormous amount of figs to do so and I enjoy everyone of them so much fresh off the tree that I kind of wish I had a very productive variety that the figs tasted bad enough to use for wine.

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Fig jacking, car jacking, or home invasion, all the same principle. It's not yours, it's mine, hands off.
    "gene"

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melike, I appreciate your concern! I didn't point it at him! With all the crazy's out and about these days I wasn't about to confront anyone without any protection!

I wasn't really worried about losing the figs. But for all that I knew it could have been someone trying to find anything to steal and decided figs would do! LOL

A few weeks ago, a guy I work with stopped at the Jack in the Box to get a breakfast sandwich and someone attempted to carjack him! Too bad that we aren't allowed to carry weapons on the job. He ended up with three broke knuckles fighting off the carjacker, that escaped.

Anyone on my property, unannounced, may be subject to lead poisoning.

• ryecooder
    12 years ago

You should of got the water hose out and sprayed him good lol
    that would of been funny

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

EJP:I wonder if you have a Marseilles blk VS.
    If you want fig wine this fig left to grow huge with a huge net over it,will be able to give you enough figs to make wine.
    It also got the high sugar content to produce alcohol.
    I have tried many figs and some are a notch better flavored,but never I found a more precocious one.
    Also the most resilient in cold climate.

• ejp3
    12 years ago

Herman, I do have one and it is a great fig. One spot opened up this past year in the ground but I chose a madeira fig instead. My only knock on marseilles vs is that it is not a large fig, but if it gives me a lot of figs then size dosent matter. It still will be difficult to not eat the figs and instead keep them for wine production but thanks for the advice.