Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C Accident Froze Braided Ficus

Posted by hermitsoul none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:37

Hi, I hope someone can advise me on this. I have a five-foot braided ficus that had had some neglect. I had just got it back to happiness at a sheltered east window in my office. The A/C vent is directly across from it (about ten feet away) and I usually kept a chair in front of the vent and a fan to move the air and keep the cold air from blowing directly on the tree. I also kept the A/C on the warm side anyway. The climate here is very hot and dry and the power bill shoots up if we try to keep it below about 75-80.

Two weeks ago someone here turned the A/C way down into the 60's over the weekend. I came in Monday morning to what felt like a refrigerator. That cold air had been blowing right on the ficus all weekend. I hadn't worried about the chair and fan as I left the building with the A/C at about 85. There are maybe five or six leaves still alive--everything else is dead. I've trimmed some of the twigs and see just a hint of a sort of sick green.

Can I save this tree? And if so, how? This poor ficus holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

Thanks,
Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C Accident Froze Braided Ficus

Hi Laurie, your tree did not actually freeze. It suffered from the vent because AC air is extremely dry and the change in conditions caused the leaves to transpire so much water that the roots could not keep up. I would make sure the root ball is well soaked and get the vent blocked if possible, it should begin to grow new leaves. We are mostly concerned with the edible fig in this forum. You might get better advice in the houseplant forum.

o
RE: A/C Accident Froze Braided Ficus

Thank you very much! I'll do that.

Laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here