Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to deal with the rough skin on some figs

Posted by greendesert (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 13:04

I've been gorging myself on figs. I lost count how many pounds. Now I don't know for sure the variety. I have a small Black Mission fig tree and there's a person nearby with a large tree with a variety that I would guess it is also the Black Mission. I eat them with the skin and all (sorry, but I absolutelly do not have the patience to peel them) besides, I understand that the skin contains a lot of the nutrients, so I'm not going to throw that away. But my big problem is that after eating a few, my tongue and mouth feel like they're on fire. The skin of these figs especially around the bottom feels like sandpaper. I assume that's not true of all varieties. I noticed that if I let them sit for a few days the skin loses some of that harsh feel, but then I like to eat them right off the tree.
I guess I now understand why figs are not as popular as apples for example. A lot of people get irritated from the latex and now I've learned that my tongue gets roughed up too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to deal with the rough skin on some figs

Oh yea, I've been there too! Its like your tongue and lips have become super sensitive and raw from the peach fuzz on the figs. If you keep then in the fridge for a day or 2 that seems to help. I choose to take the fuzzier kinds and make jam or can them whole in a syrup. Its so nice to open a jar in the winter when all the figs are dormant. I'm getting hungry, I gotta go.

-Little John

o
RE: how to deal with the rough skin on some figs

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 0:50

You can just split the figs open and scrape the insides off the skin with your teeth. Works great that way. That's what we used to do when I was little and eating my grandparents' figs from their trees. That way, you don't have to peel them.

Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here