Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repot or not

Posted by fritzgarden US z7 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 13:07

ours are in 21" ID plastic pots.
They are root bound despite the fact that we appear to be getting a nice crop for harvest soon.
I was planning on a re-pot at the end of the season just before we stow them.
Is 21" big enough or should I try to get a 24 or 30".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repot or not

fritzgarden...

Do a search on this forum for re-potting and root pruning. There is a huge volume of information that will answer your questions. Re-potting, and root-pruning is generally done as trees begin to break dormancy in the Spring.

You really do not provide enough information to answer your questions with any accuracy. For example: ...How big is the plant?... multi-stem bush, or, 6-7ft tree?...etc, etc. Do you plan on pruning back branches when doing the re-pot? How will the plant be overwintered? If no major work is planned, you can replant into a larger container if roots are not too disturbed in the process.

You mention that the plant is root bound. That condition will limit the plant's growth in the coming season, and the roots can be trimmed back in the Spring-'13 and you could re-pot back into the same container, using new, quick-draining medium/soil mix. You could also replant the tree in a larger pot, but when the plant once again becomes root bound, you will have to contend with this growth-limiting condition again. After a while the pots will be too large to move.

Your best bet is to do the forum search for the information that you seek. You have many options.

Good luck.

Frank

o
RE: repot or not

hi Frank, thanks for getting back. I'll do some searching.

Currently it's A 4' tall tree, from the top of the pot it's in.
I will prune back on the repot and cut roots back.
I'd prefer to stay in the already impressive to move 21", so I guess I will.
It over winters wrapped up in the garage.

I do need to come up with a better soild mixture, I think. Done some reading here on that already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here