Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange acting Celeste

Posted by genecolin Zone 9, LA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 13:07

Below are pictures of my Celeste tree. This is the tree that I tried to get rid of a few years back by cutting all of its branches off almost to the main trunk. All that remained were nubs of branches 2 inches around. Because I couldn't get to finishing the job before it sprouted, I let it grow out. This year it gave me some great figs. It season is past and like all Celeste around the tree is starting to set itself up for winter. As you can see in the first 2 pictures the tree is losing it's leaves and planning to go dormant. But..... a branch on the other side of the tree is putting on figs and is still growing. Could cutting it back so much have reprogrammed the trees growth habits. It's got me puzzled. It's acting like two different trees.

outhouse Celeste

outhouse Celeste

outhouse Celeste

outhouse Celeste

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange acting Celeste

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 3:57

Gene,

With Celestes, there's no telling what they'll do. I have the Celeste in the back yard growing in a bush form and there are four trunks coming from the ground. As you look at the tree from the side, the two trunks to the right are winding down and the two to the left are still growing bright green tips like they don't know it's time to slow down. That side of the tree gets more sun all day, than the right side does. I'm still getting a few ripe figs here and there on the whole tree, though. They seem a little drier, but still good and maybe a bit sweeter--They have that "fall" taste to them.

Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here