Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ischia black and black madeira

Posted by creekweb (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 13:17

Most of my cuttings are thriving at this point but these two after 4 months of trying to start them are still not sure if they want to live or die and have barely an inch of top growth and the last time I transplanted them pretty small roots. I have them in gallon pots of a well draining medium that the other fig varieties seemed to like. My question is what can I do to give them the best chance to make it. I have not fertilized them and the only organic component of their container medium is pine fines. I have them outside receiving no direct sunlight, but I have lights that I could put them under.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ischia black and black madeira

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 15:19

Black Madeira is usually both a bad rooter and a very
slooow grower. In my experience, a twig (or 2) grows
normally with the majority of the rest remaining stunted.
Try heat and a fertilizer regimnet.

Ischia Black, suffering from a very severe case of FMV,
is even much, much more worse! I had one for 3 years
averaging ~1" yearly growth. After that, I hacked the
twig above the soil, leaving 1 (or 2) nodes.
Then it grew ~1 foot the following year. Go figure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here