Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grover123_gw

Can't believe

Grover123
11 years ago

I just joined this group, just to say I can not believe the prices someone has to pay on ebay for what amounts to a rooted cutting from a fig tree.I recently only became interested in other varieties of figs as I only have the celest fruiting at this time. My goal is to put a stop to the practice of $150 for five cuttings. I have at my disposal 5 acres and years of propagiting plants. I am interested in obtaining what is considered rare and multiplying the stock to make these varities available to all.

Comments (6)

• Grover123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I guess I may haave came across as wanting donations. Not true. If I have to pay $150 for five cuttings, so be it. In a few years that five will be 150 and so on. Anyone that has what is going at extremely high prices please get in contact with me.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Grover123....

It's called supply and demand, and the "free market". If some collectors want those cuttings, and they don't mind paying, nothing will stop them.

I just hope they get the correct varieties. They may not know for years.

Ebay would be the last place I would go to get fig cuttings. Caveat Emptor.

Your plans for propagating rare-variety figs, sounds great. Especially, if you propagate DISEASE-FREE plants. Too many of the rarer varieties come from West-Coast sources, and are loaded with "Fig Mosaic Virus", which will stress trees, reduce fruiting qualities, and can cause plants to fail, or grow very slowly.

If you read past-postings on this forum, you will get a "feel" for the demand for some of the most sought after varieties, like: "Kathleen's Black".... "Black Mission NL"..... "Maltese Falcon"....etc.

Good luck with your endeavors, and let us know what you have growing, and what's available for sale.

Frank

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

If I get five rooted cuttings of Egyptian figs I will be happy. Nobody has it. I was in Egypt and I asked the orchard owner for some cutting for money he said nobody touches my trees. He has 10 trees and that is all his wealth and family support. I bought fresh figs from him and he was very generous he gave me 15 more for free and insisted not to take any money for it. The fig over there is very cheap compared to US. We paid 5 pounds for each klg the klg=about 2 pounds. The dollar buys 7 pounds.

• nothwehr
    11 years ago

Grover, it sounds like an exciting project and I wish you luck. What part of the country are you in? What seems to happen is that there are a few varieties at any given time that have created a buzz (hype?) and are in high demand. These are the ones that run for over $100 on ebay. Then over time the price goes down as the variety is distributed to more and more growers. There are certainly a large number of excellent (but common) varieties that you could start collecting relatively easily from growers on the fig forums and elsewhere. This is where I would focus my efforts first.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

I have an Egyptian fig tree at my grandpa's house giving to him from the same lady that gave him his very different brown turkey you can see on "what fig tree is this?" on the forum.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

"what kind of fig tree is this?" sorry

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone