Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

need help rescuing sad wilted tree now!

I purchased this tree from a member in a different forum. Not wanting to cause any problems, I'm posting my problem here and probably in the orchards forum.

The tree was sent priority mail and arrived after 2 days yesterday. It was wilted in the triangle container, and bare root, but the roots were kept wet. It was packed with damp paper and plastic for it's trip.

We put it in water with some B1 in the shade while we prepped it's pot. Here it is this morning:

{{gwi:122782}}

And another view:

{{gwi:122783}}

What should I do? How can I save this tree?

I'm thinking prune it, remove some leaves? What would you do?

I don't want it to die. It wasn't cheap, and I really want this variety... Bayenfeige Violeta.

Thanks in advance.

Suzi

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Leave it alone, keep the soil properly moist, and see what happens.

• vkay
    9 years ago

Hi Suzi,

With a tree that wilted, I would put the pot on a tray with water and leave it in the shade for a few days up to a week. The tree is in shock from the trip and will need to be moist at all time. You will also lose a few leaves, in fact, I would remove some of them and leave the stem. It will continue to feed the tree. Hope this helps.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks vkay! Your advice is a little too late. I already pruned 80% of the tree and the leaves remaining are very bright green.

It's in a plastic sheet in the shade, but figs don't like wet feet, so I check it with my soil moisture meter to make sure it's just damp.

It's going to live for sure! Thanks to everyone for your advice.
    Suzi

• dieseler
    9 years ago

I personally think you did well by trimming most of the leaves and keeping in shade with minimal water so as not to rot the roots
    in present condition.
    It will be fine with time and grow new leaves.

Martin

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Martin!

I know this fig will be OK. Just a little setback!

Suzi

Original Author
    9 years ago

This morning, the roots of this tree have become very aggressive. There are 15 points of fresh growth and buds. The tree lives, and although I wanted a one trunk tree... It will be a bush. Shrug.

Suzi

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here she is all popping out with happy leaves! Sorry about the blur. She is in her greenhouse secured with toothpicks, but she doesn't seem to mind that it's really tacky!

Thanks for the advice.

I tested the soil with my "soil sleuth," Google that. An amazing tool for determining dampness. The soil is damp and not wet or dry. Perfect!

She will live to produce many figs!

Suzi