Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I protect my fig tree from the birds & the bees?

Posted by phyl1knit2 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 13:47

I have a beautiful, huge 15 yr. old Celeste fig tree. Up till last year we never had any problems with pests of any kind. First, the bees started in & then this year the birds have 'discovered' us. My backyard started to look like the movie set for Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds'! We finally put up bird netting but don't know what to do about the bees! I'm not sure if they are yellow jackets or honey bees as they look very much alike. Anyone have any success dealing with this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Phyllis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I protect my fig tree from the birds & the bees?

Nothing you can do about bee except if you find the nest,kill it.
What you can do is harvest figs early in the morning before bee start flying.
Or after night fall,with a flash light.
If they are wasps they are good for environment as they eat mosquitoes too.
Wasps are docile if you do not bother them and use cotton gloves when harvest fruits.

o

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 13:42

There are shade cloth materials that would exclude both. I use 30% black polypropylene as hail screen, bird and varmint exclusion, and will keep out bigger bugs like bees. A cage over the bush covered with this material would work against both.

This picture shows the material just thrown over a nectarine to hold off birds and coon.

Photobucket

o

Nice info thanks!

o

Fruitnut, where did you buy your netting at???

Bob

o

Honey bees are not chewers and don't bother figs. Yellow jackets are the problem. There many different types of yellow jacket traps on the market and they work. You can build your own too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here