Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjs496

Birds, Bags and Balls

bjs496
17 years ago

Hi All,

In another post, there was a slight discussion about using ziplock bags to protect figs from would be fig eaters. I had about a 50% success rate the first time using ziplock bags, but that was (I thought) mainly due to the stem and neck of the fruit being so short they were difficult to secure. The birds would pull them off and eat the figs. Another problem I had was that moisture would collect in the bag and where the bag made contact with the fig, it would cause some rot.

I decided to try again. I bagged 4 figs with long thin stems. One fig fell off while trying to get the bag over it. Then one went missing, and I couldn't find the bag. I searched the backyard for it. I found it about 20 feet away under another tree. It was still sealed, but the bag had been ripped open and the fruit taken. The next day, the last two went missing. One bag I found in the pot the tree is planted in. The last bag I have yet to locate.

I have tried bags, owls, CDs, mylar tape, and rubber snakes. Nothing has detered the beasts from stealing my figs. I will build some framing to support netting for next year. However a friend of mine has told me that he had great success with hanging red xmas ornaments in his trees before the fruit appears. He said the birds think they are fruit, peck at them, get nothing and leave in frustration. He told me he hasn't a problem with birds getting fruit in the five years he has been using this method.

Has anyone tried using this ornamental balls/fruit to deter birds/squirrels/etc? Perhaps next year I'll leave a few trees out of the netting and use the balls to see how they work.

Also, one thing I did notice with bagging fruit is that the fruit seemed to ripen faster than those that were not bagged. I'm wondering if using a sealed bag had the same effect as oiling the eye. Any thoughts?

~james

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional