Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrisofla

Supposed to be Black Mission

terrisofla
12 years ago

I posted a picture last year of my purchase at Lowes. It was labled Black Mission, but some said on the forum that it didn't look like a Black Mission. Well I'm back with pictures of fruit so hopefully someone can identify this tree. Here it was last year in October:

Here it is this year:

The eye stays closed until the fruit starts to change color. It seems like it only takes about 5 days after the color starts changing until it's ripe. Of course, I could be picking them too soon, but they do have cracks in the skin. Are these brebas? They don't have much flavor. I know it's the trees first fruit and I shouldn't expect much. Thanks for any help...Terri

Comments (8)

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

It could be a Black Mission Hybrid,because That eye it is too much open,and it will not do well in a rainy climate.
    If the fruits that are coming along later also have the same open eye,Then I can positively say it is not Black Mission,but a Hybrid seedling(made from seeds).
    If so it is much lower quality compared to Black Mission.
    I also bought a handful of fig trees,and many other fruit trees from Large businesses like Lowe's,and I have never got a worthy tree to be worth the money I paid.
    It is true they were cheep to buy,but they all ended in the dumpster,and I also wasted my time and a lot of labor, planting and taking care of them for years with ,zero return.

• girlbug2
    12 years ago

The fruit looks like it could be black mission or any number of black figs, but no way are those the leaves of black mission.

The big box store probably had a bunch of black figs of unknown variety and decided to call them black mission. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

• terrisofla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your replies herman2 and girlbug2. Some last year were guessing Violet de Bordeaux because of the leaf shape and were saying it's definetly not Black Mission. I thouhgt that all trees produced inferior figs when they were young and I should give it a couple of years. Does the fact that the first fruits aren't very good mean it's a bad tree that I should take out?

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

No The first couple of fruits can be inferior.
    But if the coming fruits have the open eye when ripe is not a MIssion,but an inferior seedling of Mission.
    Mission have much closer eye than your fruit has.
    Let hope it changes in the future.
    The leaves are line-ate,and not like Mission.

• harvey12
    12 years ago

The Petite Negri fig has a deeply indented leaf like the one shown in the photo, and a medium sized deep purple to black fig. My tree does not have all leaves in the deeply indented form, but also has other forms, such as a spade shaped leaf. Nevertheless, this leaf form and the purple/black fruit makes Petite Negri a possible answer to the puzzle.

• terrisofla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Herman2 - OK good to know fruit could be different next year. I'll leave it for a while and see if things change. I do have a couple of new figlets forming so I will hopefully get to try a couple of the second crop this year. Do you think these are brebas I have now, or is it too late for brebas?

Harvey12 - Does Petite Negri have an open eye?

• ejp3
    12 years ago

I say no way that is black mission. The leaves are way off, the fruit looks like a midget black mission. The only similarity I see with your fruit and bm is the interior color of the fruit. I could be wrong, but I have 6 different black missions and that is my evaluation.

Regards

Ed

• lisa_bakoproducts_com
    12 years ago

This link may help, scroll down to Nero fig,

http://www.treesofjoy.com/myfigs.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: trees of joy

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio