Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwmtv

Too late to air layer a fig tree?

iwmtv
13 years ago

I have a fig tree in the backyard which provides a wonderful treat in the summer.

My sister would like to plant one in her backyard and I was thinking of trying some sort of air layering technique to propagate the tree.

Is it too late for this season? Any specific method most recommended? (I am searching this forum as we speak:)

Comments (6)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

It all depends. Some figs root faster than others and you do need to have enough roots to keep it alive. In most cases 60-90 days should be more than enough time unless you are are trying to root a large branch.

In my zone there is plenty of time.

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

If you're going to do it, do it now and just keep the airlayer attached to the mother tree until you see alot of roots. I have sometimes left them on until the tree goes dormant inorder to maximize the size of the rootball. Then I separate the airlayer, pot it up, water it and leave it in a place that won't freeze. You have nothing to lose so try it. Most airlayers need about 4-5 weeks to develope roots. However I have a few that produced roots in two weeks (these were airlayers made at near ground level branches).

• iwmtv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I am going to attempt it.

Question, how thick of a branch should I use and how low to the ground?

After shaving off the bark (2-3" around?) can I just wrap it in plastic or should I add something else?

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter, maybe a little larger -preferably woody.

Take a 1 gallon pot and make a cut down one side from the top to the bottom. I usually extend the cut into one of the drainage holes which is usually larger than the diameter of the branch I want to airlayer. Wrap the pot around the branch so that the branch is passing thru that drainage hole. Then tape the cut pot wall on the inside then on the outside.(I use duct tape). Reinforce it real well with tape. Fill the entire pot with moist potting soil and pack it down firmly down to the bottom of the pot. Keep packing in the soil until you get to within an inch of the top of the pot. Water it well and let the water soak in the packed soil. Then ball up some plastic bags from the super market and pack them up on top of the soil in the pot to fill that 1 inch gap. This will keep the soil from drying out too fast. Secure the plastic with some foil or tape or rubber bands. Each week, take the plastic bags out to check the moisture in the soil. If still wet, replace the plastic bags. If dry, sprinkle some water on to of the soil and let it soak up, then place the plastic back on top. You should have roots in 3-5 weeks.
    Now here's the great trick about doing this in a pot versus a plastic bag. Since it's so late in the season, just keep that pot in place until the tree goes dormant.
    Keep checking the moisture of the soil in the pot. Don't allow the soil to go dry or else the roots will die. After the entire tree goes dormant, separate the potted airlayer and store it where it won't freeze. You've got a potted tree ready to repot into a larger pot in the spring.

• iwmtv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Leon for the detailed instructions, printed them out will be working on it tomorrow!

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

I just took a cutting, removed all the leaves and stuck it in a old gallon milk jug placed it in the shade and within a couple weeks am seeing roots.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists