Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigo76443

Fig Cuttings

Rigo76443
11 years ago

Today i talked with an old timer who has fig trees and was nice to give me cuttings even though it is wrong time of year for them. Here in texas i feel like we have time to root them out still.

anyways... he gave me a history on the tree that on some go back to the 50's and his brown turkey goes back to 1906. here are a list of what he gave me by what he called them. He also was nice and gave me 2 pint Fig preserves because he says he picks over 100 figs a day when in season.

#1 Strawberry Fig

#2 Purple Brown Turkey

#3 Brown Turkey

#4 Lemon Fig

#5 Black Biscuit Fig

#6 Black Turkey Fig

Comments (32)

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to say that the figs pictured in egg carton are not represented by # in picture. i am posting the pic of bundled cuttings which do show the # of each bundle.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

put them in a 1 gallon pot with good potting soil add some perlite to lighten it up and put a cut 2 litter over them. keep them under a florescent shop light 20 bucks @ walmart with lights and they will grow. leave the cap on until you see a bunch of new leaf growth then take the cap off leaving the bottle on until about 5 weeks in then remove the bottle all together and sit in a shady place outside. good luck. be sure to label them or they will get mixed up. For me this is the best time to take cuttings but they need to be planted within a few hours and you have to keep the humidity up hints the 2 litter bottle trick. my success rate is 95%+ the only problem you'll run into is mold and a watered down fungicide works wonders sprayed in the top of the bottle with a misting spray bottle

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the info

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

anytime, do you have any fig trees already or will these be your first?

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i have 3 already 2 i purchased from local nursery and 1 i propagated from a fig tree i found in an old lot with an old old house that no one lives in anymore. All 3 produced figs this year.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

do you want to trade some cuttings come fall or do you have any rooted cuttings you'd like to trade now? I don't have many rooted figs too offer right now just Brown turkey, Chicago hardy, Castle kennedy, popp's purple, and Celeste. but I'll have a bunch of cuttings come fall. what's the names of the ones you purchased?

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

not really selling or trading just excited and wanted to post my acquired cuttings today

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went to local nursery today and got 1 gal containers to start propagation of 1 fig cutting from each bundle. i have six 2 liter bottles ready also. prob start the cuttings tomorrow morning .

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

sounds good, good luck to you.

• cptndon
    11 years ago

Three years ago I went to my great grandfathers old homestead in Mississippi and go some cuttings from a fig tree that his father had brought over from Prussia in the late 1700's (we think it was 1784) and planted on the farm. It is now about 35 feet tall and 6 or 7 feet around at the trunk but still in good health. There are many saplings growing up from the large root sytem around it also. It is about 60 or 70 yards from the banks of the Petal River in Runnelstown Miss. which is just out of Petal, Miss. I had to make another stop on my trip and it took me five days to get back home so the cuttings sat in the car all that time and only one made it. It is now 3 feet tall and produced quite a few figs this year. They looked much like a Brown Turkey fig and were delicious but I don't really know. I plan to take cuttings in the spring (I think it is too late this year) and do some propigat 8 to 10 if you (ediblelandscaping) would like one. I am in Tampa.

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So when i opened bundles each one had 6-8 cuttings in each so i started just 1 cutting from each bundle with a 1 gal container and a 2 litter soda bottle as the green house. will keep updated with pictures on progress.

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of the Figs i put into 1 gal containers are already getting new growth and its been about a week since i put them in 1 gal. i have 2 litter bottles over them as greenhouse. should i remove the bottle cap or at least loosen it up to prevent mold? i know its too early for any roots but the new growth is a good sign that they are good cuttings.

i will post pictures later today once we have daylight.

any help would be great.

Thanks

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Two week old Cutting Celeste Fig

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Black Turkey Fig 10 days old

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Black Biscuit Fig

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Strawberry Fig 10 days old

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple Brown Turkey 10 days old

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

yes when you get new leaf growth remove the cap and sit it on the bottle for the next few days. after about 3 or 4 days remove the lid all together. about 2 weeks after that remove the bottle and cross your fingers. good luck, please keep in mind leaf growth don't mean root growth so do not transplant them anytime soon. wait until next spring if possible thus giving your plants enough time to establish a good root system.

• Dan796
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I looking for any type of turkey fig cultivar cuttings to root,
    I'm willing to pay the postage for them.
    Please contact me!
    Thanks! and God bless!

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry i am not trading these cuttings or selling. I got these from someone who has raised them for most of his life and it would be disrespectful if i traded these away.

• jolj
    11 years ago

cptndon, if you go back to Miss., then take a cooler, put the cuttings in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.
    A bath towel wrap the bags then put a ice pack on top to keep them cool. If you stop over night you can put them in the Fridge.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Should the part of the cutting planted in the soil had some skin peeled and dipped in a rooting hurmone. I am just thinking for a way to help my cuttings.

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on cuttings progress

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

update on fig cuttings

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on another cutting

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fig Cutting Update

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My updated Fig cuttings, i recently just had the cap off from the 2 litter soda bottles and left them like that for a week. Today i figured i would try taking off the 2 litter soda bottle off and see how they would do.

• rickc_2010
    11 years ago

Very nice Rigo. I have been at it just about 5 yrs and seeing about 10 or so ripened figs daily. This forum is great. RICK

• smt229
    6 years ago

It is June and I and in southeastern Virginia, is it too take to root fig bushes?

• jolj
    6 years ago

smt224, no it is not.

I am in zone 8, South Carolina.

We grow cuttings mostly in sand for 5-6 weeks, so you have time.

I know some people bury the cuttings in fall or winter & dig them up in early Spring.

Some keep them in cold temp. of 40F to 35F for a few weeks, then root them.

We always treated them like any other cutting.

I do know a gardener who move the rooted /potted cut into the Green house after first frost HARDEN THEM OFF. He then moved them out in the Spring for sale.

• smt229
    6 years ago

Great...thanks! When you root them in sand, how much light are they getting?

• jolj
    6 years ago

We put them in a greenhouse in the fall, but most of them where in the shade of a pine tree. Did not root a lot of fig, just 20 or so a year, few blueberry & blackberry plants.