Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northeastnewbie

need fig jam recipe

northeastnewbie
13 years ago

Okay at one time I saw a recipe for fig jam without using pectin..Does anyone have any low sugar pectin free recipes???

I picked a few pounds of figs and need to process them..

Comments (8)

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

You can try my recipe.

a Lebanese recipe for making fresh fig jam. The recipe uses Mastic which is an ingredient extracted from the Mastic tree which is in the Pistachio tree family. You may find it at greek and middle eastern stores. It gives the jam a really nice and unique flavor. As a substitute you may use Anise seeds instead.

Ingredients:

6 pounds of fresh figs
    2 cups of sugar
    3 Tsp Sesame seeds
    juice of half a lemon
    2 packs of mastic Gum Arabic (or 2 tsp of ground Anise)
    Peel the stems and the thick part of the skin of the figs.
    Cut the figs in quarters
    place the figs in a pot and add the sugar.
    Do not add any water. The figs retain enough water.
    Place the pot on a medium heat and mix the figs and sugar well.
    Add the sesame seeds to the mixture.
    Leave on heat for 15-20 mins. Slow down the heat if it's starts boiling rapidly.
    Add the Lemon juice.
    If using Mastic, crush it until it's powdery then apply it. If using Ground Anise go ahead and add it to the mixture.
    Mix well, and leave on low heat until mixture is thick.
    Place in jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: my fig recipes

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

there are many fig recipes without added pectin, and in the last few years I have tried them. The fatal flaw is of course a very long cooking time in order to get the mix to thicken properly, which gives the jam more of a cooked flavor. I prefer my fig jams to have a fresher figgy flavor.

Seriously, the most compliments I ever got on any jam was last year's batch of Strawberry Fig Jam. I used SureJell No Sugar Needed pectin and a reduced amount of sugar:

Low Sugar Strawberry Fig Jam--makes 6 half pint jars.

3 cups of peeled and quartered figs
    3 cups of hulled and crushed strawberries
    2 cups sugar
    1 box no sugar needed pectin
    Juice from 1/2 a small lemon (optional, but I like what it does)

Put fruit and lemon juice, if using, into your large saucepan. Measure out your sugar into a separate bowl. Take 1/4 cup of that sugar and mix separately with the contents of the box of pectin (this helps it dissolve better without clumping). Put pectin/sugar mix in with the fruit, mix in well, and cook on medium/high heat stirring constantly.

Bring mixture to a full rolling boil, then remove from heat and let it stop boiling. Pour in the rest of the sugar, stir thouroughly until it's dissolved, then put back on heat and return it to a full rolling boil. Let it boil hard for just one minute, then remove from heat, skim foam, and divide into jars. Seal and process for 10 minutes for half- pint jars, 15 minutes for pint jars.

You can do this recipe with all figs instead of half strawberry, it still comes out very well. But I like the mixture of flavors, strawberry and fig complement eachother nicely; plus it comes out a lovely red color.

• georgiafig
    13 years ago

Hi Newbie.

I used Herman's recipe, modified to make it even easier (no measuring). My goal is always to find ways to do things better, cheaper, and easier.

Somtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This time it worked magnificently:

1) Take whatever figs you have and chop them in the food processor to small pieces (remove stems first of course).
    2) Put in lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar to taste (put in a little at a time and taste while cool before cooking; when you like the flavor it's ready to cook).
    3) Cook on medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken (note: It will be thicker when cooled and set; look for it to start sheeting off the spoon when poured from the spoon; and you can put a little on a cool plate to test its consistency as you near the end of cooking).

The first batch was very good (using mostly Marseilles), but the second batch was the best ever (using Brown Turkeys and Celestes).

Best wishes.

John

• peg919
    13 years ago

I don't use pectin. I do mine in small batches for better results and as the figs become available. I quarter the figs while cutting off the stem. Add sugar, bring to a boil while stiring. Lower heat and just let it simmer while you do something else, until it starts to slightly thicken. Add lemon juice toward the end of cooking. Fill sterilized hot jars. Seal. and let cool. I place mine in the fridg after they have cooled. They kept all winter and were delicious. I do not process the filled jars.

I do only 2 to 3 jars at a time using a large deep fry pan. If you mess up one batch you can correst it on the next or even reprocess if you don't like what you did the first time. Its easy and fun. I used it on pancakes and on ice cream. It lasted all winter. All you need is figs, sugar and lemon or lime juice.

• FO876
    13 years ago

Any way to save a batch of overcooked jam? 'shaking head' :)

My wife and I made a fantastic batch of fig/strawberry jam 2 nights ago, it used strawberry jello mix.....came out really good.

So last night we decided to try that Grandma's recipe, we goofed in more than one way and we now have a very stiff mixture still in the pot. We contemplating on using some to make thumbprint cookies but I'd like to try and salvage the jam if possible?!?!

A Google search turned up a response by a person who did the same thing with her fig preserves and she said she correctly by reheating and adding enough water to bring to preferred consistency then re-canning. I was going to try this method but thought I'd come and ask my fellow fig die-hards first. :)

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Let's clarify...jam is crushed fruit, preserves is whole fruit. Down South in my area, the old timers use to make nothing but fig preserves with lemon. Over the years, I've made lots of Fig Jam and never preserves. I have 3 ways of making mine. I will only tell of 1 way becuase the other ways are my secret. (smile)

Fig Jam

2 lbs of fresh figs
    1 cup of sugar
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    1 small box of pectin

Place figs inside a deep pot on the stove. Boil 3 cups of water and pour over figs. Let them sit for about 12 to 15 minutes.

Drain figs let cool so you can handle them. Remove the stem and place all figs inside your food processor. Pulse the machine about 4 or 5 times. You just want to chop the figs. Pour mixture back into original pot you boiled them in. Add all ingredients except the pectin. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let it bubble and pop for about 20 minutes. The mixutre will get very thick and sticky, add the pectin and it will get really thick and almost start to stick to the bottom. Now the jam is ready to bottle up. If you are canning the jam boil completely covered in a water bath for 15 minutes. Enjoy. Dennis

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Figs are low acid. If you are going to can it make sure you use a tested recipe. Try asking this question on the Harvest forum for some good answers.

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Fortisi, If your jam is too thick, just add water until it is the right consistency. Be sure you bring back to a boil before jarring it processing.
    I make preserves like my Mother & Grandmother always did. Wash & stem the figs, put in heavy pot, pour sugar over them, let stand overnight(covered), start on a really low fire so they don't scorch and stir(occasionally) until they come to a boil. turn down until slightly bubbling and cook until figs are clear(this takes several hours & continue stirring occasionally). Jar up & process in boiling water bath 10 min. I don't like the lemon in it, but you can add to taste while they are still boiling. Tim

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals