Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs from reliable, pollinated seed?

Posted by jdreinstein Oklahoma (7) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 15:31

I have a contact in Turkey who has several Turkish and other varietal seeds from fruits pollinated by the wasp. They do germination grow-outs to test for trueness of seed and fertility, and they claim upwards of 75% germination.

My questions are:

1) How quickly could I expect a fig to grow from germinated seedling to small sapling (about a foot tall)?

2) Are there other perils associated with growing fig trees from seed that would make this unappealing?

Thanks for any help - you can never trust the salesman.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs from reliable, pollinated seed?

There is no such thing as reliable, pollinated seed.

o

The fig wasp (Blastophaga Psenes) is present in Turkey, but is not present in Oklahoma. Therefore, any seedlings that require caprification (fertilization by the fig wasp) will not produce fruit in Oklahoma. A percentage of the seedlings will be caprifigs and probably not edible. Most of your fig seedlings will probably not produce edible fruit in Oklahoma. In order to determine which (if any) produce edible fruit, you will have to grow the seedlings for several years. It would be much more efficient to obtain cuttings from a known variety of figs. In 2 or 3 years, you will probably have some figs to sample.

o

Here's the problem that I see.

If you are growing pollinated seed, what you will get is a fig variety that requires pollination to set fruit. Unless you have wild fig wasps living in your area, your new trees will not be able to set fruit for you.

If you want to try to grow the seed as a fun project, just to see what you get, then I don't see any reason not to try it. If you want nice fruit, your safest bet is to buy some nice young trees of a named variety that has already proven itself to produce good figs in your area.

If you like to propagate your own plants, then buy or beg some cuttings of proven varieties and root them yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here