Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

What Would You Do (If YOU got as Stupid as me)?

Here's how it went down. Visiting a friend, 2 hours away, we end up tasting her neighbor's fig (stolen from the tree), and snook one little cutting of this delicious fig. Then she tells me there is a huge tree hanging over the fence, so we get cuttings of that one too (have no idea what they are, but she said they are brown when ripe)!

We wrap them in damp paper towels, stick them in water in a to go cup with a nice plastic bag wrapped over their leaves for moisture, and they are ready for the long trip home. They fit great in the car cup holder.

HERE'S WHERE I GOT STUPID: Next morning they go into the car cup holders. After about 6 hours of golf and a lazy lunch, I get into the car to check my babies, and YIKES!! The water they are in is very HOT!! I dump it out, keep them wrapped and damp, AC on, and 2 hours later home, trimmed the bottoms off, cut the leaves in half, and stuck them all into cool deep water.

I KNEW it wouldn't be pretty this morning, and I was correct! I cut the limp leaves in half, but only one looks like it's leaf stem is still nice and plump green.

Here are my options. What would you do?

1. Keep them in fresh water until they root in the water.

2. Cut them in half (2 or 3 buds per piece), and keep some in water, some in peat and perlite, and lay some on their sides outside in a 1.5" trench in the warm damp dirt.

3. Keep them whole and do the above.

4. Wrap them in plastic and dasmp paper towels, stick them in the fridge, and hope they go dormant and try again in spring?

A great big THANKS!

Suzi

Comments (12)

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

If these were my cuttings, I will do option 2 without cutting any part from it. I will place it in soil with the tip (one or two buds) showing.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I'm with ottawn on this one. Put them deep in a well draining soil. That way they don't dessicate and the roots are in the dark.

I have never tried to root none dormant cuttings. I know it can be done with figs but the success rate is known to be lower.

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

In my experience the non-dormant cuttings or fresh shoots when planted as I mentioned, stay green for a long while and then after a good while starts growing shoots at the tip or bud. This may be a period for root development. Dormant cuttings most likely show shoot growth even before the roots are formed or concurrently with root formation but on non-dormant cuttings I have observed stagnation of the buds until roots are formed which takes a while so notto get impatient (or the cutting rots in relatively shorter time).
    Others may have different experience.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I have had cuttings drop all their leaves and then still root and grow. So be persistent.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

You are Lucky you and your friend did not get arrested for stealing the Neighbor Figs. They will never work. Stolen merchandise never work. If it was me I go knock the door say Hi and ask them for some cuttings.

• northeastnewbie
    13 years ago

Okay I am new but it would seem that the tender newly established plant would not have enough time to harden off before needing to go dormant. I would just strip off the leaves and put scion in the refrigerator until spring. let it rest let it get some cooling time and in my opinion you would have better odds of rooting a tree from the scion.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your advice! I'll put them in the dirt outside today, and see what comes of that!

And don't worry. My friend did tell her neighbor who laughed and said I could have the whole dammn tree! Evidently she hates figs, but my friend is picking away and they are all hers now! I'm pretty sure they are Violette Du Bordeaux because the leaf shape, the fig shape and taste are pretty exact! I already have one of those trees but I want this cutting to grow too!

Thanks again!
    Suzi

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

OK Good Luck

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

You did not take northeastnewbe advice wich was the right one.
    You took the wron ones.
    Put it in the frige for 10 daysto rest and go dormant and then grow them.!!!

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I've collected several cuttings from CA last week and here's what I did. take the cuttings remove the leaves, wrap them up in moist paper towel and keep them in a zip lock in the fridge until ready.
    Then plant them in a one gallon pot in peat moss, perlite mix, water it and cover it with plastic. keep it away from direct sun, keep it in a spot where it doesn't get extremely hot, about 80-90° is ideal. check on the soil every couple days, it won't require too much water if the plastic is over it and away from sun.
    in two weeks you should start seeing growth, left the bag and keep it watered regularly.
    Good luck

Bass

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to act fast, so the first advice that came through on this thread, I took!

These poor green softwood cuttings have been planted in moist dirt in the shade, and our weather will be warm for a good solid 2 more months, so fingers crossed they will get a good start prior to dormancy. When winter comes, it never really is what Eastern folks think of as winter. It's more like sunny and in the 60-70 range. Nights can dip kinda low, but rarely freezing. Snow has never happened. Now and then it rains.

I'll post an update when and if I see growth on these cuttings. Next time I visit my friend I'll get more cuttings and I won't let them boil in the car for sure!! I'll bring an ice chest to bring them home in!

Thanks to all of you for your great advice!
    Suzi

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

What ever is over the fence belongs to that household no matter where you live. The only thing I would do is remove all the leaves. It will put on leaves as it starts to root.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting