Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will figs continue to ripen?

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 16:28

I'm never quite sure when to harvest my figs and I'm always tempted to pick them before they're completely ripe, in part because I'm afraid that if I leave them on the plants until they're dead ripe they'll either split or be attacked by birds and/or ants. If I do pick them, will they continue to ripen off the plant if I keep them at room temperature for the next day or two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will figs continue to ripen?

No.....Elder
PS: According to what I've experienced and read the ripening process ends at the moment the fig is picked from the tree.

o

Ditto.

o

• Posted by bjs496 z9 SE Houston (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 16:05

Figs do not continue to ripen off the tree, nor do they respond to ethylene treatement for ripening. Having said that, however, I am confused about the labels "tree ripened" and "mature" on the following UCDavis website.

~james

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultivar Pictures

o

My understanding is that figs do respond to ethylene treatment while they are on the tree. This is the basis for oleification; olive (and other oils) produce ethylene upon decomposition. I can refer you to scientific papers on the subject if you are interested.

o

I've not read that they "ripen", but I have read that you can keep them a few days and that that they will "soften".

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 22:41

It is not the first time that I harvested figs and left
them a day or two inside (some continued to ooze honey
from the eye) and I think overall, got better a eye
appeal or maybe better tasting?

o

Any figs that I have grown, I have noticed that "matured" is a oint at which they have gotten to fheir fullest poenial in size and have somewhat of a juicyness inside of them. If you leave them on the tree once they have "matured" they will ripen further getting more juice inside of them until the "nectar" starts to ooze from the "eye" that is when they are "tree ripened"

o

Last year I had around 3 pounds of figs on the tree that were not completely ripe, They changed color, still a little hard. It was late september and we were expecting freezing temps at night. So I picked them and put them in a ziplock bag, I left it on kitchen counter for 2 days. Surprisingly, they got soft and were sweet. Talking about Ethylene gas, there were a couple figs that were already ripe in the bag, they must've released that gas and ripenned the unripe figs.
Give it a try.

Bass

o

In my experience, they WILL soften and get sweeter when you let them sit at room temperature for a couple of days. The books aren't always right, do you own experiments

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here