Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the f4f forum

Posted by mgginva (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 16:39

I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will miss them if they don't. I have not been posting here recently but will be in the future. I see a few old friends on here that have left f4f and hope I can contribute to the general community. I have a large collection but am in no way an expert. I will, however, try my best. Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the f4f forum

Agreed, mgginva...sure is sad to lose valued contributors...I miss them already.

o

Same here, hope to avoid some strange stuff and see some old friends.

o

Michael, Paul and Harvey
I'm here now. I'll try to pick up where I left off at the f4f.
I just hope the couple trolls will stay there.

But I think this place will be better policed than the other.

Anyway, be on the lookout for some exciting things.
This place is going to rock real soon. Gonna bring it back to life, like it used to be.

o

Roger that...
JD

o

Now we're talking!

o

Rafed, I am just happy to see you posting some where. As I stated in the email, I certainly understand you leaving and expect more to do the same in the near future. I can't wait to see what you have in mind.

o

Thumbs up!

o

I'm here with you guys. I will do my best to learn house to post info here.

o

Ok, I see how this is going to go. Rafed, if you can convince Wills/Bamboo to make the switch I'm all in as well. That's my boy right there! He convinced me to go to F4F so I can't leave him hanging. If not, I guess I will ride the fence between the 2. Just glad to see you guys back online!

o

blueboy,

Wills and I had a phone chat yesterday and he is well aware of what's going on. We stay in constant contact.

As I am with some other friends too. I told quite a few friends where I am now.
I think if or when they are ready to come here they will.
I will not try to convince them to make the leap. Out of respect to Jon, it is something they will need to do on their own.

Till then, this is where I will be. Hope to see you come by and say hello.

o

Seeing "old" names again makes me happier than a pig in _ _ _ _

Frank

o

I haven't seen this much activity on this side in a while, lol.

o

This is a nice start.

o

Glad to be here

o

Hey, this is "cyberfarmer" from F4F. Same guy, different stupid name. I've dropped by this forum from time to time, but never has been as much activity as F4F. Looking forward to continued mutual fig fanaticism here, there or anywhere.

o

Hi, I'm over here too! (71GTO). garden web, won't let me have my normal screen name.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 17:33

..... so what happened at F4F that rankled so many?

Al

o

Hello Al,

Long time no chat. Hope all is well with you.

There have been a couple trolls, trouble makers and misinformers at the f4f.
Things were getting out of hand and it appeared Jon didn't have a problem with it. But if we stood up to them as of late either we were blocked or our posts deleted.

I guess he was reassuring the trouble makers they can do what they want.
On and on

Plus I was insulted by Jon via email. He's yet to apologize for it.
I called him out on the forum but he deleted my thread.

Anyway
I deleted my account and moved on. These gentlemen are (for the most part) supporting me by being here.

Thanks for asking.

o

Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 21:03

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what it is about figs that seems to bring out the worst in only a few. I hope better times are ahead. Take care, Rafed - and thanks for filling me in.

Al

o

Al
You may not believe me because I have broken a promise to you but I still have that Italiano Nero I promised you. It is in a 3gl pot and standing roughly 4' tall.

Think we can meet in the next couple weeks? It would have to be on the weekend though.

o

Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 21:35

If you broke a promise - don't even tell me what it was, because I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember what it might have been.

..... and I deeply appreciate the offer, but I'm out of the fig growing business. I gave my trees to friends because I lack even the room for my bonsai trees. Many of the plants I just enjoyed 'growing', I've given away so I can devote the time to all the chores that come with trying to maintain more little trees than I should be trying to maintain. I'm even paring down the number of bonsai trees I have by giving those in the beginning stages of development away.

Thanks for thinking of me - I really DO appreciate the thought. Take care!

I hope you guys have a good time here. I'm always partial to people passionate about their trees.

Al

o

Aloha, fellow fig fanatics. Sorry it took me awhile, but now that I'm here, count me in.

o

Sad to see there is conflict. I went by eukofios on this and f4f but changed that name a while back. I was not that active there but read a lot and posted now and then. Whatever happened - I dont know about it, have not bee paying attention - Its nice to see familiar names in the world of figs.

Most of what I know about growing figs I learned here on gardenweb.

o

I will say that I have never seen any policing done here in the 1+ year I've been on this forum and the Fruit and Orchard forum; would like to see everything remain harmonious.

o

eboone
I agree with you. As long as the trolls don't follow we will be just fine.

Al
Let me know if you ever change your mind.

Aloha Nate.
Glad you've joined.

o

HI guys,
I see the party on this side...
Rafed is always good to see you...and the whole Gang
Mark

o

Howdy, guys!
Count me in too.

o

I peek in from time to time.

Last year was rough for me. I missed this and will try to hang out more.

How were your winters? (Tampa and Rafed). Nice to meet the rest of you.

~Chills

o

Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 10:11

Hey, Chills! Good to see you, too. The only bad part of last winter was that I lost about 20-25 (bonsai) trees over-wintering in my garage - all the less hardy stuff. My wife come home late on one of our -15* evenings & forgot to close the OH door. I didn't check before bed, so many were exposed to killing lows. Many other trees also suffered lots of root dieback, but survived.

Take care!

Al

Thanks, Rafed. I know that if I ever want to get back into figs, you're the guy I'll call on.

o

Hi everybody. Just checkin in too I guess.

An open garage door in the winter is a bad thing. I'm always checking on it, my wife is apt to do the same.

o

Al

I have the perfect fig for bonsai.

It's called Queue Longue (Long Tail).
The fruit is the size if a cherry and the biggest leaf can fit in the palm of your hand. Everything about this fig is small. Even its' size.

I'll be home soon and if I get a chance I'll post it. If not, then tomorrow for sure.

o

Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 20:48

Sounds interesting. I have a start on 3 different mulberries, close relatives of figs, as you undoubtedly know. The dwarf red mulberry has leaves about the size of a quarter, and that's BEFORE applying any leaf size reduction techniques. Curious about your plant now. I'm following the thread, so I'll watch for the pic or your link to a new thread. Thanks. ;-)

Only 110 more shopping days until Christmas!

Al

o

Hi Rafed and all. I will also be checking here too.
Cheers
Coop

o

Al,

Here is a picture of the tree for now.
I will post an entire thread on it along with some more pictures later.
It isn't much but I can offer you the bottom branch now or air layer it for you in the spring time. Your choice.

o

It did suffer this past winter. I think I will pump it up with some extra fertilizer next season.
It seemed to help many other figs on my collection this past season.

o

Hello! I check here every now and again. Still learning about figs.

o

Rafed..This Nero Fig..

Does this tree suit my type of climate? How long does it take for the fruit to ripen if given a warm summer, averaging not more than 6 days of 90?
If it is suitable for my growing area, I will look to purchase one. I have heard they are very delicious..

MIke

o

Wow, that's great, I guess I put a seal on this thread..lol

MIke

o

Nothing is sealed. Just been too busy.

I can't say for sure how it would do with you. It's on its 3rd year and the 1st year I let it grow and last year our summer ended too soon and this year most of the trees were set back due to the brutal winter we had.

I would "assume" it is cold hardy because my source is from the north.

Next year it should be mature enough to perform.

o

I have room for one like that and I would grow it in a pot on against a warm sunny area....If you know of anyone that is eelling one like this or even you, I would gladly be willing to work something out with you.
Please e-mail if you would like..My Sick Aunt has always been crazy about figs and I would grow them to surprise her with fresh fruit.

Thank you Rafed for taking the time..

MIke)

o

Nothing at the moment, Mike. Maybe next season.
Where are you?

o

Al,
If you wanted to try a fig I think Afghanistanica would also be worth a look.

o

Hi Rafed, I'm in Massachusetts...Thank you much.

MIke

o

Hi Rafed, I'm in Massachusetts...Thank you much.

MIke

o

Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 10:29

Thanks, MGG. I'll keep that plant in mind. I appreciate you guys watching out for me. ;-)

Al

o

Hi old F4F friends. Hopefully I am not one of those people that made you leave F4F. Wouldn't be the first time I suddenly realized I'M THE BAD GUY! Hah!

I just re-registered on gardenweb using the same screen name I have been using on F4F: "cyberfarmer". I actually hate the name and only picked it on a whim when I wanted to register for the site. I'm a computer programmer and an orchardist = cyberfarmer. Get it? Duh.

Anyway, I was registered here before as "organique", but I decided to distill it down to one screen name to avoid confusion since I am still active in both forums. So, like it or not, I'm settling on cyberfarmer.

Thanks for continuing to share your stories and experience. You provide the fuel for my obsession.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here