Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgginva

the f4f forum

mgginva
9 years ago

I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will miss them if they don't. I have not been posting here recently but will be in the future. I see a few old friends on here that have left f4f and hope I can contribute to the general community. I have a large collection but am in no way an expert. I will, however, try my best. Thank You.

Comments (103)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Howdy everyone. I am new to figs and have been looking at f4f and am confused about some of the posts of people naming figs. What is that all about? It is very confusing as it seems reputable folks post a name as unk and note similarities with a named fig. Then some of them on f4f have proclaimed themselves as experts and name them at will. This is very confusing for a newbie like me. I would appreciate your thoughts.

• cyberfarmer
    9 years ago

Hi Dirt Guy,

I think as long as the name is prefixed with Unk (Unknown), the person is not presuming to name the fig. Unknown means that we don't know what it is, but we need some way to refer to it. I have some trees that I call Unknown Anna's. I call it that because I got the cuttings from my mother's tree that she planted 40 years ago. She died 20 years ago, so I can't ask her what it is. It looks like a Verte or a Green Ischia, but I would be amiss if I assumed either one. I will probably never be able to identify beyond any doubt what it really is. If I just called it Anna's without Unknown, I would be giving a new name to what is probably already a named variety. That would be wrong.

This summer, I visited a friend who has more than a dozen seedling figs on his property. I know they are seedlings because they are growing out of cracks between rocks on a steep slope in his creek bed. Nobody would ever plant trees there on purpose. Being seedlings, they are NOT named varieties. So, it is my understanding that I have the right to name one if I discover a good one. Out of all the trees he has, he says one produces a tasty fig. Since he lives in Silverado Canyon, I would probably call it Silverado. We'll see if they are as tasty as he says and worth naming.

Yes, there are probably a lot of people on (on F4F or here) who haphazardly attempt to name unknowns. But, I don't think they mean any harm. They do it out of ignorance, and that is why we have a community to educate them.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks cyberfarmer. I am now understanding a little better about the naming of figs. It is definitely confusing with all these similar names folk are throwing out. Makes sense if the prefix "unk" is attached. Thanks.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    9 years ago

I hope this doesn't make anyone mad. I have something that needs to be said. I've been biting my tongue for months on this issue and here is my 2 cents. I apologize in advance if my comments make anyone mad. That is not my intent. If anything, I hope my comments prompt you to think, swallow your pride and have a change of heart.....especially during this time of the season.

In reference to the Figs4Fun forum, Please please please stop the madness! I love Jon's forum. I won't bash it or him. That is not right. Jon knows me and I know him. We've had many lunches and dinners together, and thrown lots of figs at each other at UC Davis! Ha! Jon is not the king of figs or the leader of figs or the naming judge of figs or the Grand PooBa of figs. And he will tell you that! He is the owner and administrator of his fig4fun forum. He is also, very knowledgeable about figs growing in his area and a great source for fig trees and cuttings. If you guys knew Jon, you'd know I am correct with that statement. If it wasn't for Jon's forum, we MAY NOT have ever met. Think about it!

Folks, we come together to talk about figs; to get fig tree, fig cuttings, and learn cost saving tips growing them. When did that stop? Figs and the love of figs is what brought us all together. So, why get angry at others who choose to name an unknown fig? We can not control people's actions. The last I checked this is still America. We have free will and that's a blessing! People are going to do whatever they want to do. So, let it go! Leave them alone. Love them with a long handled spoon! Why get upset for what they want or choose to do? It's no sin. Why create a "clique" and discriminate against others? That's not nice. That's not love. Again, think about it. It breaks my heart to see folk end a relationship because of something petty as the naming of figs. And why is it always a man getting upset and leaving a forum? I don't get it! I really don't get it! What is wrong with us??? We could learn a lot from the ladies!!! We are suppose to love people for who they are.....Not what they do or did. Hey, we're talking figs for God's sake people! COME ON!!! Let's fellowship, talk about figs, share our knowledge about growing figs and enjoy life. Life's too short. I hope to see many of you at next year's fig fess wherever they are across Amercia. If not, be blessed and take care of yourself. I love you guys!

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

cheers,

• pppldj
    9 years ago

I don't like drama in my life. I don't like people being rude. I don't like it when people disrespect another when there is a disagreement of opinion or of even fact. How will God judge us, as we have judged others? I am not a member of that forum, but I have seen some ugliness. People, come together and respect your differences and treat each other with respect and kindness. Don't attack for their beliefs or perceived threats. Snaglpus, I like your attitude!

• JesseSt
    9 years ago

Well said, Dennis!
    There's always going to a rotten fig or two in every basket...let's not let that spoil our own enjoyment of this pastime.

• gorgi
    9 years ago

@ Dennis (snaglpus) : Amen; and, and very well said ...
    @ Other (downers) : Shame on you !?!

Q: Amongst other things; who built the best world fig (F. carica) database ever?
    A: Lone Jon of F4F himself ...
    http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html

Yes,
    GW/FF was the first fig forum I ever knew.
    Back then, we were a very small happy fig community,
    (just sharing info/cutting/ etc.), then fig interest exploded,
    and 'things' became very much more complex (at least to me).

As the saying goes: "Live and let live".

Here is a link that might be useful: F. carica varieties DB.

This post was edited by gorgi on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 14:04

• cis4elk
    9 years ago

Very well put Dennis, I feel the exact same way.
    I'm sure I'm sort of saying the same thing in a different way, but I would like to add..
    Some insults have been passed around over time about many things, but this is life, people can be crappy to one another. So often folks get into disagreements and it goes back and forth; turning into a contest of who gets the last word or upper hand. This is the internet, nobody ever gets the last word.
    There is nothing wrong with disagreeing, there is nothing wrong with calling someone out on an insult for everyone to see. We can all read, we can all see when someone is being a doosh. Generally I don't read posts from people who act like this. It seems that these people come to their senses at some point and start to contribute again, or if they don't get attention they go away. Of course they slide back to their ways from time to time. But I will never understand the "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude either.

We all love figs, every aspect of them. If people want to go love their figs by themselves, then more power to them. But I like seeing what everyone is doing, learning some new things, and most of all seeing the pictures that go with it. I love the layout of F4F and I love the sense of community, the checking in and seeing whats happening. Heck, it's like Cheers(I think most of us are old enough to know about that). Dennis your dead-on with "How about them figs!" they have a hold on us all. Gradually I see people trickling back, and I can't believe how it makes me smile a little when I see a post from someone that hasn't posted in awhile. Sort of like an old friend has returned..that I don't know :)

This post was edited by cis4elk on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 0:05

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Hi there, I'm growing 3 fig cultivars in western Vista CA: Violette De Bordeaux, Panache, and Janice-Kadota. These are the cultivars that "made the cut" as I have about 60 varieties of fruit on my property and limited space. All three are currently bearing fruit and have been doing so since August. At present, the fruits on Janice-Kadota continue to ripen (harvested 3 today) but I think the remaining fruit on the other two trees will not ripen and simply fall off in January.

• ottawan_z5a
    9 years ago

Hermitian
    I was going to say your post is off topic and need a separate thread but then I saw a fig named Janice-Kadota in your post. So, I guess, naming a new fig this way somehow connects the post to the issue discussed in the thread i.e. naming figs at will.

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Ottawan_z5a,
    My impression was this thread is about FIGS-4-FUN (f4f) and just a general howdy-doody to the community. :)

For those of us in the lower 40, Janice-Kadota is not a new fig but instead a cultivar distributed by grower-nurseries in southern CA for at least two decades. Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Janice-Kadota Fig

• ottawan_z5a
    9 years ago

That is "Janice Seed-Less Kadota Fig: and so is http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html listed as "Janice Seedless Kadota".
    No problem it is a free Forum

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Some of us were around before it was renamed by a few distributors. In particular, the chance seedling was discovered a few miles from here. :)

• rjcantor
    9 years ago

Dennis, you're the man! I told you I was blessed just being 'around' you and you proved me right.

• fespo
    9 years ago

Well a member for 4 years I deleted my last post. Waiting for a few last responses from some members and will delete my account. Enough of the BS

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

fespo, who put you over the edge to delete your account with them. Just wanting to understand. I like what I see here but want to be fair as well.

• fespo
    9 years ago

There were a few that did it, i was away for a while from there and went back to ask to buy a lot of cuttings and all hell broke loose.

• korina77
    9 years ago

deja wu ............Please do not make it F4F forum. keep it clean and stop playing "fig police".

• figaholics
    9 years ago

fespo, some people did treat you too harshly. But you came in after a long absence and came in with an unusual request. You ended up burning me after wasting my time and came up with a lame excuse so I don't think you'll be missed at F4F.

The policing that is done at F4F is to help protect newbies from scammers. korina77 asked me questions about one of my eBay auctions but got very tight-lipped when asked about her own auctions and relationships with numerous other eBay accounts that use the same PayPal account. Deflecting the concern by criticizing the "police" is not going to work!

• purplefig
    9 years ago

Hi guys!
    I am just checking in.

• korina77
    9 years ago

Some people just can not f...igging stay out of other people business.
    And get punished for being greedy.............
    WOW.....
    Karma............

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

I think that people leaving the original Figs 4 Fun forum won't find any solace here. In my experience the GardenWeb environment is less friendly.

• figaholics
    9 years ago

korina77, as I told you before, my business includes selling things on eBay and the safety of that community is part of my business, whether you like it or not. And exactly how was it any of your business on why I was using a photo in my auction where I clearly made it clear that it was being done so with permission? And why did you feel it was any of your business to try to find out how much I was paying for the use of said photos? You had previously used these photos without permission. Wow, your karma is not so good.... :)

Were you ever a member of F4F? I don't remember you getting chased out of there.

• scfigfanatic
    9 years ago

Hey all, just another fig collector checking in.
    Spring is on the way!

Doug

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

Welsome Doug! What is your experience growing figs?

• korina77
    9 years ago

"Fig Police" here again!
    So you are one and only investigator here? WOW.....
    Guess what, not really.
    Be careful with accusations.
    But better........... get lost..............

• korina77
    9 years ago

By the way, what are you gabbling about?

"korina77 asked me questions about one of my eBay auctions ........." - so you have many? Ha.. ha... ha...

" Photo"? - are you using other members photos?
    What a shame !!! I will report you to "Fig Police".

"chased out of there" -
    Out of where?

What are you smoking, old fella?

This post was edited by korina77 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 19:24

• scfigfanatic
    9 years ago

Hey Dirtguy50, I've been growing figs since 2006.
    I have a collection of 50 or so figs in ground.

Doug

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Doug, that's outstanding! Does SC mean you're in South Carolina?

• gorgi
    9 years ago

I encourage to all fig lovers to read the Garden Web - Terms of Service (TOS).
    http://www.gardenweb.com/legal/tos.cgi

Mostly it is all legal numbo/jumbo,
    but of most particular useful interest is point #6:
    6. Guidelines:

You alone are responsible for the content of your messages posted to or otherwise made available through or in connection with the GardenWeb Network and for any consequences of such messages. You agree to abide by the following guidelines, and iVillage reserves the right to terminate your access to and/or membership in the GardenWeb Network if iVillage becomes aware, learns or suspects, in its sole discretion, that you are violating any of the following guidelines:

Any use by you of any other member.s or site visitor.s information, personal or otherwise, for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, or to obtain direct financial gain (e.g. mass marketing) is prohibited. Any such use shall be deemed to be a violation of these Terms of Service. The GardenWeb Network is to be used by you for your personal use only. Commercial uses of the GardenWeb Network are strictly prohibited unless prior written consent from iVillage has been granted.
    You agree that you will not use information gathered from or in connection with the GardenWeb Network for chain letters, research study or survey solicitations, junk mail, "spamming," commercial or non-commercial solicitations, or bulk communications of any kind, including but not limited to distribution lists to any person who has not given specific permission to be included in such list. You further agree not to harvest or collect information about visitors to the GardenWeb Network without their express consent.
    You agree not to send via the GardenWeb Network or post on forums or any other place on the GardenWeb Network any message or material of any kind or nature that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable material or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability, otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or encourages the use of controlled substances. For purposes of the immediately preceding sentence, "masked" vulgarity, obscenity or profanity (e.g. "f*ck") is deemed to be equivalent to including the actual objectionable word, phrase or symbol in your post, message or otherwise on the GardenWeb Network.
    You agree not to make postings of a commercial nature;
    You agree not to use the Exchanges to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage, including requests for Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. All Exchanges are restricted to users from a particular country, region or state. If not indicated otherwise, the Exchanges are restricted to residents of the U.S. To find an exchange for your location, you may refer to the Exchange Index. Each post to an Exchange must have a type of trade, subject and a message.
    Trading is done at your discretion. GardenWeb has no control over or responsibility for trades arranged. Messages addressed to or meant for particular users should be sent via email and are not allowed in the Exchanges.
    If you have trouble with another person coming through with their end of a trade, you must deal with it privately and not through the forums. Any public accusation in the forums, or elsewhere on the GardenWeb Network, will result in the accuser being banned.
    You agree not to impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, including impersonating an employee or consultant of iVillage. You further agree not to use an inappropriate member name of any kind.
    You agree not to restrict or inhibit any other visitor from using the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, by means of "hacking," "denial of service" attacks or defacing any portion of the GardenWeb Network.
    You agree not to express or imply that any statements you make are endorsed by us, without our prior written consent.
    You agree not to modify, adapt, sub-license, translate, sell, transfer, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the GardenWeb Network.
    You agree not to "frame" or "mirror" any part of the GardenWeb Network without our prior written authorization.
    You agree not to tamper in any way with the software or functionality of the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, transmitting or posting any software or other materials to the GardenWeb Network that contains any viruses, time bombs, Trojan horses, worms, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere with, intercept or expropriate any system, data or information.
    You agree not to use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, "data mine," or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the GardenWeb Network or its contents.
    You agree not to create a database by systematically downloading and storing all or any of the information on the GardenWeb Network.
    You agree not to permit others, including those whose membership have been terminated, to access this website through your membership account or password.
    You agree not to create multiple memberships and/or memberships for another individual. Each individual must create his or her own membership.

In addition, while accessing or using the GardenWeb Network, you agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.

which includes only 'pure-trade' exchanges allowed:

You agree not to use the Exchanges to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage,
    including requests for Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. All Exchanges
    are restricted to users from a particular country, region or state. If not indicated otherwise, the Exchanges are restricted to
    residents of the U.S. To find an exchange for your location, you may refer to the Exchange Index. Each post to an Exchange must
    have a type of trade, subject and a message.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW/TOS

• newnandawg
    9 years ago

gorgi, thanks for posting that info.

newnandawg

• newnandawg
    9 years ago

gorgi, thanks for posting that info.

newnandawg

• scfigfanatic
    9 years ago

Hermitian, yes I'm in SC.

Doug

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Doug,
    Your figs get baked a bit more by humidity than mine. There are varieties that taste better in your area than mine, and visa versa (e.g., Panache).

If we talk about fig flavors, I'd divide them up into
    a) classic, rich fig flavor
    b) berry or fruity flavors
    c) honey flavors
    d) odd-ball flavors (some quite good)

Doug, among your 50 figs, what is your favorite fig with a rich fig flavor?

• scfigfanatic
    9 years ago

Hermitian, this thread is not about me.
    It is about f4f members moving to GW.

I do not have just one favorite but Red Lybia was up there with the best I ate last summer.

Doug

• rafaelissimmo
    9 years ago

Hi Mike and everyone else!

Some of you know me from some of the other forums so I am just checking in here to say hello.

And I will add one comment regarding the other forum: while the constant naming of unknowns by newbies was part of the problem, it would be misleading not to recognize that rudeness and arrogance against long-time members going unchecked was equally responsible for the exodus of many people who are now checking in here. I for one will continue to be cognizant of all genuine factors, such as experience, knowledge and seniority, and give respect where it is due, including common courtesy. By the same token, I have no problem with standing up to fraudsters.

• figaholics
    9 years ago

Nice looking fig, Rafael. Don't tease us, please tell us what it is. Looks different than Panache that I'm accustomed to.

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Harvey, that fig looks exactly like those on my Panache tree.

• bjs496
    9 years ago

Great. I'm back to using my vulgar initials again. Hi everyone.

• figaholics
    9 years ago

I've got a new ID, dang
    Formerly known as HarveyC

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

aaron4usa posted on the GW fig forum that he is back. How about a big welcome!

• Aaron AKA Aaron4USA zone 10b
    9 years ago

LOL, I have not posted saying "I'm Back" I have no idea how it happened, all I got was eMail saying there are some posts to read...I'm still puzzled.

But... anyhow, i'm glad ...

• User
    9 years ago

Feigenbaum a.k.a. Christian from Germany here.
    Some of you might remember me from the f4f.

My buddy Phil (peak42) from N. Ohio told me that he is around here so I joined to take a look.

Looking foward to meet again some great guys as well like Kubota1, Dieseler ,Rafed, just to name a few...

• peak42
    9 years ago

Guten tag mein freund Christian,

Welcome to this forum. I lived in Mannheim, Germany for 3 years and traveled to Italy were my father was born.

I am also back on this fig forum with many of my good fig friends, Christian, Rafed, Art, Martin, Mario, Giuseppe, Aaron and many others. All of us here have been very helpful to each other in the past years and now here again at GARDENWEB-HOUZZ in the future years.

It is cold here -3 degrees F. daytime temperature

Phil from Northern Ohio

• User
    9 years ago

Guten abend/ Good evening mein Freund Phil!

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I am proud to have a great friend like you.

Stay warm!

• Danny
    9 years ago

So this is where everyone's been!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I didn't leave F4Fun, but I lurk here now and then. I actually got so busy, didn't have time for any forums. Doc just gave me antibiotics for acute bronchitis. Getting a chest xray to rule out pneumonia. Sucks to feel yucky! Anyway, more of my containered figs have found their way in ground. I'm picking up a couple Caprifigs from Sue and getting some wasps from Harvey C. Gonna give that a whirl.

• gramaley
    9 years ago

I see the gangs almost all here..

• Frank -KK4DFU
    9 years ago

On here just lurking as usual as well.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company