Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas fig newbie

Posted by Ghostface Zone 8 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 16:39

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and figs and have a few questions. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that'd be great. I just bought a house in Dallas and would like to plant some figs along the southwest wall in espalier fashion, to take advantage of a very skinny side yard there (6 feet wide total) and to cool my house, and of course, harvest yummy figs. Reading through this forum, it looks like it may be unwise to plant figs directly next to my pier and beam foundation, so I was planning on getting cheap 55 gallon food containers, sawing them in half, and planting the figs in those. I would basically dig out the soil so the containers are just a couple inches above ground level. Does this sound like a viable plan? And should I amend the soil in the pots or just fill them with the dug out soil from the holes the pots are going in to? And also, where and how many drain holes should I put in each pot? And lastly, how far apart should each fig be spaced, considering they'll be espaliered? It sounded like maybe 15 feet or so? Thanks so much, and if anyone has other advice, particularly for Texas fig varieties, etc., I would love to hear it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas fig newbie

Figs have pretty good root systems so it's not good to put them too close to a building. Contained may work, but they will work their roots out of the container for sure.

There is always a way to do something. People there will know. Just copy what you asked here, and paste it there on your introduction.

There is a very active fig forum linked below. Many Texas members there. This forum doesn't seem to be too active. Just post the same thing you posted there, and you will get lots of help.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Figs 4 Fun Forum

o

Ghosty-

Suzi gave you some good advice. Also join the Figs4Fun Forum for plenty of answers to your questions.

Also do a quick search for: "Japanese Fig Growing Methods" for espalier/training alternatives. I can't give you the direct link but someone on the Figs4Fun Forum, will. There are many threads covering the topics you mentioned.

Know this: Fig roots will eventually escape any container that has drainage holes, and planting trees in containers will not prevent roots from wandering. A good root barrier may work.

Good luck with your fig trees.

Frank

o

Thanks for the advice, I started looking through the Figs4Fun forums last night. There's so much information to take in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here