Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghostface_gw

Texas fig newbie

Ghostface
9 years ago

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and figs and have a few questions. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that'd be great. I just bought a house in Dallas and would like to plant some figs along the southwest wall in espalier fashion, to take advantage of a very skinny side yard there (6 feet wide total) and to cool my house, and of course, harvest yummy figs. Reading through this forum, it looks like it may be unwise to plant figs directly next to my pier and beam foundation, so I was planning on getting cheap 55 gallon food containers, sawing them in half, and planting the figs in those. I would basically dig out the soil so the containers are just a couple inches above ground level. Does this sound like a viable plan? And should I amend the soil in the pots or just fill them with the dug out soil from the holes the pots are going in to? And also, where and how many drain holes should I put in each pot? And lastly, how far apart should each fig be spaced, considering they'll be espaliered? It sounded like maybe 15 feet or so? Thanks so much, and if anyone has other advice, particularly for Texas fig varieties, etc., I would love to hear it!

Comments (3)