Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alb419_ny

Valle Negra best fig for the northeast

alb419_ny
12 years ago

this fig is very resistant to cold weather,I had this fig and many others in a detached garage for the winter covered only with heavy plastic.To my surprice this fig survived one of our coldest winter ever ,we had many days

below zero-7 and so on.Aldo`s fig did not produce any brebas for me do to the cold weather. Gentile one of my favorite white fig,no brebas and the main crop is falling off.Valle Negra wow it produced for me over 50 delicious brebas ,this fig is a winner,this fig resemble Negronne,

but V. N.is a better fig.Carrapipe Negra produced only one breba for me ,but loved was so good.Ciao,

Giuseppe

Comments (29)

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

Thank you for that report Giuseppe.

Dan
    Semper Fi-csu

• alb419_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan,
    let me know if you want to try some of my figs,will be glad to send you cuttings the end of October.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• ejp3
    12 years ago

Giuseppe, I am interested in swapping cuttings with you in the fall, just tell me what cultivars you are looking for.

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

I am very interested Giuseppe in trialing your fig down here in South Louisiana. I may have some that you are interested in too. We will be in touch in early November. Thank you.

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

• alb419_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan,ejp3,
    I can send you guys cutting the end of October.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• Noogy
    12 years ago

Giuseppe,
    I'm north of Notre Dame campus about 10 minutes in a zone 5b designation. Are your figs potted? I want figs also, but hesitate to buy the one in the catalogs. I'd prefer a non-commercial recommendation. It seems as if they are happy to send whatever.
    Are there reputable mail order sources I can use that you'd recommend?
    I saw the monstreuse posting on fruits forum and thought I'd look in "figs". It's good to see other people excited about
    figs up north.
    noogy

• berrysalesman
    12 years ago

Giuseppe: I'd like to get a few cuttings of your valle negra. I'll pay you for whatever expenses you have. In exchange I'd send you some cuttings of a very productive and winter hardy Brunswick fig if you want them. Thanks.

• Geoff S
    12 years ago

Hi Giuseppe...thanks for the description of your Valle Negra. I have a tree that I've successfully overwintered in the garage...I think it's Celeste, but I'm not 100% sure. If your willing to send cuttings, I would be happy to trade this and others that you might be interested in...or of course I'd be happy to pay you. Grazie, Geoff in zone 6

• alb419_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I Will try to send cuttings of this fig in late Oct.Please try to undestand that it will be impossible to honor all the request.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hi Ya'll! My mouth is watering reading about all the figs! alba419 & geoffs,(& any other fig lovers like me) may I please have 1 cutting of your fig trees? I live in Co. & would love to get some fig cuttings for my yard. Any type of cutting you have would be OK! I can't afford to buy a tree on my small SSDI income but I would pay for the S&H if it isn't to much. We had a large fig tree in our yard in Tx when I was a little girl(55+ yrs ago).I'd be very grateful & happy if ya'll could spare a cutting for me! I wish I had some plants to trade for them. Thank You! Carol %):>

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

danab have you posted your harvest results for this year, I remember reading your reports from last year. As a result I added LSU purple to my collection along with GoldenCelest, Col de Dame and Violette de Boudeaux.
    Any suggestions for good early, mid season and late figs?
    Dan

• recoil_rob
    12 years ago

I realize Giuseppe cannot honor all requests for cutting, does anyone have another source for cuttings for this cultivar?

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

Maybe we can talk Giuseppe into putting us on his list for 2012 or even 2013.
    Dan

• gorgi
    12 years ago

I LATE harvested my first VN fig yesterday.
    I wish I had seen/picked it up 2-3 days earlier.
    In spite of ALL the rain we had, and b/c so, it slightly
    split in the eye; it was still somewhat of a fig-beauty.
    Jet-black outside and blood-red inside....
    But (rain) rotten enough to be not edible.
    Hoping for some more later.

• jstall
    12 years ago

I have four Valley Negra trees planted but did not make any figs this season. Giuseppe I hope they produce at an early age. Maybe next season I will get to taste them.

• leon_edmond
    12 years ago

Giuseppi:
    Is this what your Valle Negra fig looks like?
    The finger-like leaves on the tree producing these figs are located on the right side in the lower photo. Can you please tell me if this is the shape of the leaves on your Valle Negra tree?
    I ask because I received a tree two years ago labeled "Vallecalda". I believe it was mislabeled and in reality is Valle Negra. This fig is small but the flavor is intense. Is there anyone else that can verify this fig and the leaves as matching their Valle Negra as well? Thanks much.

• alb419_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Leon,
    the finger like leaves is the one I have ,looks similiar
    to your picture on the right,also the fruit looks the same.
    Hope this can help.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• leon_edmond
    12 years ago

Thank you Giuseppe. Hope to hear from others growing this fig to get their opinion as well.

• alb419_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Leon,
    this fig was send here in the USA by Sergio Carlini from Genoa Italy,some time ago you asked the same question on this forum.Sergio responded to you post and according to him Valle Calda is a large fig,please search for your post .Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• leon_edmond
    12 years ago

Giuseppe:
    Several years ago I received a small rooted tree from Gene H. labeled "Vallecalda". Somehow there was a mix up and this is the fig it ended up to be- Valle Negra.
    Leon

• gorgi
    12 years ago

My Valle Negra (GT), definitively has finger-like leaves.

Want some more confusion; I also have a Villa Nero (RD)...

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

Giuseppe you're like a superhero on here.
    I would be very interested in a clipping as well if you have an extra one lying around after you give everyone a piece.

I live in Massachusetts and am growing a hardy Chicago, but if you say that the Valle Negra is also Hardy I would be really interested in having a clipping.

Thanks

Tom

• feigensorten_de
    11 years ago

hello@ all,

does anyone know a source for vallenegra. the only 'shop' i found in the internet was in amarica and she actually does not send figs ; -(

kind regards dirk

• lebmark
    11 years ago

Giuseppe,
    I like to buy some cuttings or plants of Valle Negra, or rooted cuttings, if you have any more left.
    Mark

• lebmark
    11 years ago

Giuseppe
    Thanks , and if you want to sell a Valle Negra Plant, Keep me in Mind.
    Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.
    Mark

• questionesse
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi guys,

anyone still around here?
    I'm looking for a valle negra as I'm in quite a cold region.
    Anyone willing to part from a cutting or two?
    Thx a lot!

Fabian

• jersey21
    8 years ago

Hi All,

I'm in northern New Jersey and would love to find a cutting of the Valle negra also!!

Mary

• Valerie Quevedo
    last year

I was just given a Valle Negra plant brought to the US from Italy and looking for advice on whether it does ok in the heat?! I live in zone 8b in the san bernardino mountains so it snows in the winter but gets up to the 90s in the summer.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler