Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs further ripen after harvest ?

Posted by janoyan (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 17:12

Contrary to common belief, I think figs do ripen, perhaps 25%, after they are harvested, not quite ripe. By leaving them out in a warm location for just a couple of days.

This is also the most effective way I find to beat the birds.

I invite your comments, whether you agree or disagree.

Thanks,

Janoyan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs further ripen after harvest ?

In a perfect world, I'd harvest the figs (for personal use) by placing towels on the ground under the tree and waiting until they drop. Pure honey. But of course, there's the birds. I harvest a day early and do exactly the same thing you do. I see the difference in picked figs after waiting two days. If it isn't mushy (brown turkey figs) it isn't really ripe as I see it. Other varieties may not get mushy until they rot. Experiment with yours.

Will try netting in 2013.

o
RE: Figs further ripen after harvest ?

My figs has to fully ripen on the trees to develop the honey taste. When I buy figs from the supermarket it tastes like rubber because it did not ripen on its tree.
Birds are problem but I was able to solve it by buying few bird nets and covering all my fig producing trees. I only have four producers. The rest is very young.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here