Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob17257

Best Year Ever For Figs in S Central PA (Zone 6)??

bob17257
11 years ago

I've had two fig bushes (in-ground) for almost 40 years, and they have never been so nice as this year. We had an exceptionally mild winter, an early spring, and a hot summer. The bushes are loaded with healthy figs. I feel certain that they will ripen earlier than usual this year.

Do other growers in Zone 6 have the same situation?

Bob

Comments (8)

• bobp299
    11 years ago

I'm in North Delaware about 32 miles south of Phila. and we also had about the same weather as you.I to have a lot of figs and my tree (about 5yrs old) just took off this year. I usually get my first ripe fig around labor day. All green right now but tree seems to still want to grow.I'll let you know if I get any ripe figs early this year

Good Luck
    Bob P

• bonsaist
    11 years ago

It has been a good year for figs for us here as well. I've been eaten figs since June. I had a good breba crop and now the main crop been setting since mid July.

Bass

• bob17257
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked my first ripe fig yesterday. Normally I don't get the first fig until early September. The peach harvest in this area is also unusually early this year. We are at the mercy of the weather.

Bob

• bobp299
    11 years ago

Just got my first riped fig and will pick it tomorrow. I'm about 9-10 days early this year (Northern Delaware) from last two years and have plenty on the tree.Might be a great year. Good Luck to all

Bob P

• oldmark
    11 years ago

My fig, a Celeste, near Reading, PA, started very early, but I have not had anywhere near the number I am used to picking. I got 5 this morning,,,I usually get several pounds at this time of the year. I still have about 13 pounds frozen from previous years...I think I may not have cut the canes enough-blicked sunlight and air to the central plant. I got very dense leaves, but little fruit. I have not been very active in the garden this summer, and I hope this will be just this season...this is a 10 year old tree, and has been great for most of those years.

mark

• ekierk
    11 years ago

Bob17257 Do you keep you fig inprotected during the winter?

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

This season is unusual October 6 yesterday I picked over 30 ripened figs I could not believe my eyes I thought they will never ripen.

• bob17257
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi erierk. Many years ago I gave my figs winter protection, but I concluded that it was a waste of time and energy. If the winter turned out to be excessively cold, with extended periods of sub-zero weather, the bushes froze off above the ground despite the protection. If the winter was mild the bushes didn't freeze off. So I gave up on winter protection. Last winter was the mildest in my memory, and there was almost no freeze-off. And I am getting a bumper crop of figs this year. I have already picked over 300 figs from my two bushes. The highest count I ever had in past years was 130.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus